Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNUnet 0.21 Rolls Out New Transport Layer For Building Decentralized, Distributed Apps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNUnet 0.21 Rolls Out New Transport Layer For Building Decentralized, Distributed Apps

Phoronix: GNUnet 0.21 Rolls Out New Transport Layer For Building Decentralized, Distributed Apps

GNUnet 0.21 has been released as a major update to this GNU project building a network stack for secure, decentralized, and privacy-preserving distributed applications. GNUnet continues striving for a "GNU internet" and with the v0.21 release has rolled out a new transport layer and working to address prior design shortcomings...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I have never been able to use Gnunet well under Linux. There is still a lot to be done.​

I currently find the following decentralized, anonymous and encrypted networks better:
    Anonymous peer-to-peer distributed communication layer built with open source tools and designed to run any traditional Internet service such as email, IRC or web hosting.

Tribler is a powerful and censorship resistant peer-to-peer decentralized torrent client, providing fast and privacy enhanced file-sharing experiences using Tor-inspired onion routing. Download and share torrents with ease.

I cannot yet judge to what extent Gnunet is more secure than I2P, RetroShare or Tribler. However, you can already use I2P, RetroShare and Tribler effectively to exchange or communicate data. GNUnet is still a long way from that.​

Comment

Originally posted by SerialCool View Post
      I cannot yet judge to what extent Gnunet is more secure than I2P, RetroShare or Tribler. However, you can already use I2P, RetroShare and Tribler effectively to exchange or communicate data. GNUnet is still a long way from that.​​
      You are right. There's still a lot to be done. But I think it's on a good way to become usable. There's currently work in progress for the NAT traversal which is needed for most end-users and managing connections depending on power draw when running from battery. That should make it quite usable in a lot of cases.

Also there's work going on regarding compatibility with other P2P software if the protocol differences allow it. For users it's definitely interesting because it's not just providing a solution for file sharing but also name resolution via GNS and a messaging application. Additionally there's GNU Taler for privacy preserving digital transactions.

I definitely see a lot of potential, especially with focus on a very wide range of devices and environments it's meant to run in. But I'm probably biased as one developer behind the project. For detailed questions about its security or architecture, I recommend checking out the scientific publications it's based on.

Comment

Personally I find the Qortal network much more promising. At least it has active users and some vigor behind it. Also they are not the mainstream brainwashed government fools.

Comment

Working...
        X