Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mold Linker Performance Remains Very Compelling In 2024 Over GNU Gold/ld, LLVM lld

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's still a regression from the GNU BFD linker and prevents merging Rusticl CI into Mesa.
    See https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/...5#note_2276866

Comment

Originally posted by brad0 View Post

There are already better options available, and yes that linking time really is annoying after doing some development on systems still using the BFD linker (Linux, Haiku, NetBSD/DragonFly). Also the memory usage is lower. I almost take it for granted the other OS's I use switched linkers numerous years ago.
      Nothing the good old "buy a better system" can't solve. Not a big fan of it myself, but in a world where 90% of the executed code is interpreted JS and Python, liking performance is hardly amongst my attention worthy priorities. And if I did care that deeply about it, I'd probably write my own linker altogether.

Comment

Originally posted by ddriver View Post

I guess many people can afford to wait an extra 30 seconds or so. Besides modl doesn't cover all use cases. Invite change and trouble in your build or wait 30 seconds? Not a big dilemma.
        As a developer it is a big pain point as you make only small changes and then linking get dominant.

Comment

Originally posted by ddriver View Post
          Nothing the good old "buy a better system" can't solve. Not a big fan of it myself, but in a world where 90% of the executed code is interpreted JS and Python, liking performance is hardly amongst my attention worthy priorities. And if I did care that deeply about it, I'd probably write my own linker altogether.
          No, not at all.

Comment

Are the gold numbers default or after enabling gold threading? I assume default, so it isnt quite that slow in practis

Comment

On arch put this in
              Code:
              /etc/makepkg.conf
              to use mold while building aurs

Code:
              LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now,-fuse-ld=mold"
              Last edited by Shtirlic; 01 March 2024, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X