Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Distributions Now Encouraged To Build GTK With Vulkan

Phoronix: Linux Distributions Now Encouraged To Build GTK With Vulkan

Last week I wrote about GTK landing their new unified GPU renderer and as part of that the Vulkan API support is set to be enabled by default. Linux distribution vendors are being encouraged moving forward to indeed ship with the GTK Vulkan support enabled, so we'll be seeing more Vulkan API use on the Linux desktop with OpenGL slowly fading away...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good that they still keeping opengl by default. I use arm boxes that not yet support Vulkan at all and es is really crappy. So only way to use gnome is opengl until upstream developers finishing Vulkan implementation. In this state is many arm boxes and some RiscV.

Comment

Originally posted by xpris View Post
      Good that they still keeping opengl by default. I use arm boxes that not yet support Vulkan at all and es is really crappy. So only way to use gnome is opengl until upstream developers finishing Vulkan implementation. In this state is many arm boxes and some RiscV.
      I wonder if Zink (OpenGL-to-Vulkan) helps here (by how I mean if it's not a hassle to set up.

Edit: You- cleared up my confusion. I missed the point. Disregard my comment.
      Last edited by Sethox; 17 January 2024, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post

I wonder if Zink (OpenGL-to-Vulkan) helps here (by how I mean if it's not a hassle to set up.
        you're looking at the opposite translation here, he is saying the hardware drivers do not support vulkan yet.

Comment

The GPUs that cannot handle Vulkan are now like 12 years old or more, time to complete the switch!

Comment

Hopefully Gtk applications using OpenGL via the GtkGlArea widget will keep working despite the other widgets being rendered with Vulkan?

(and as an aside, there doesn't seem to be an equivalent GtkVkArea widget for rendering with Vulkan?)

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
              The GPUs that cannot handle Vulkan are now like 12 years old or more, time to complete the switch!
              While I think it's unlikely for hardware that old to still be using the latest version of GNOME, there are still GPUs from the Fermi and Terascale[2] architectures that are still usable for everyday use.
              The OpenGL code is already there - might as well keep it until it makes maintaining Vulkan code a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                The OpenGL code is already there - might as well keep it until it makes maintaining Vulkan code a problem.
                There are two openGL codepaths - the older "GL" driver (which originally was the new GL driver, ngl, until the original driver was removed and the new GL driver became the only GL driver, called gl) and the new GL driver which is actually the new new driver, using the same code paths as the vulkan driver.

The new GL driver does more things than the old one, so its not simply a matter of keeping the old driver around - it has its own shortcomings, such as no anti-aliasing and rendering certain things wrong. However the plan is currently to still keep it around 9and it is even still the default as of now) as it also targers OpenGL2/GLES2 class hardware which the new GPU does not target.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  While I think it's unlikely for hardware that old to still be using the latest version of GNOME ...
                  I still use a 10 year old laptop to play spotify or throw something on the beamer that is not done easily from an nvida shield. I just checked and it's GT 750m is the first gen nvidia card to get vulkan.

Comment

Originally posted by iruoy View Post

I still use a 10 year old laptop to play spotify or throw something on the beamer that is not done easily from an nvida shield. I just checked and it's GT 750m is the first gen nvidia card to get vulkan.
                    Gt 6xx series too. Nowadays, all users have GPUs supporting vulkan.

Comment

Working...
                    X