Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elaforma View Post

How so?
    Apache 2.0/MIT is somehow less free for them than GPL?

Comment

Originally posted by BreachScrambler View Post

Apache 2.0/MIT is somehow less free for them than GPL?
      Please don't feed the troll

Comment

I don't understand why I would ever use this instead of the official compiler. I really don't.

Comment

Originally posted by evasb View Post

In this current form, never. gccrs devs already expressed that they want to do further development in Rust after ending this one as a new step in GCC's bootstrap process.
          Do they want to include Rust code inside GCC?

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
            I don't understand why I would ever use this instead of the official compiler. I really don't.
            Locking down to a single vendor or a single implementation limits widespread adoption.

You will want to use this if/when the official compiler becomes EOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
              man I would not want to be a reviewer for that lol
              It's completely unnecessary. Rust is error free by design.

<duck_and_run note="sorry couldn't resist"/>

Comment

Originally posted by lowflyer View Post

It's completely unnecessary. Rust is error free by design.

<duck_and_run note="sorry couldn't resist"/>
                Too bad the patches are written in C++ /s

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
                  There are targets that GCC supports that the official compiler doesn't support.

Comment

And about "Rustland"...
                    I wonder what happened about uutils coverage. They've done considerable advancements, yet no mention on Phoronix.

What about uutils?

Comment

I get so confused about all of the various components here, but think I may have figured it all out. What I think is going on is...

* rustc: The official Rust compiler.

* rustc_codegen_gcc: Allows GCC to be used with rustc, and LLVM by extension (I think!) Not sure what direction things pass through, but sounds like ultimately you get the greater architectural coverage of GCC, generating bytecode (or something like that) than can then be consumed by rustc/LLVM. So you ultimate get to use the offical Rust compiler.

* gccrs: What this article is about. A Rust compiler implantation purely in/using GCC. This means of course you are no using the official Rust compiler, and any delta between the two needs to be accepted.

That is where I am at now. But at least I took a few minutes to sort it out for future mental reference. Happy for any input if there is any.

Comment

Working...
                      X