Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

About the "other benefits":
    #1 is called Class Data Sharing (https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/doc...a-sharing.html) and is not particular to OpenJ9. It's just not in widespread use so not many people know about it. Again, mostly superseded by native-image and AOT compilation.
    #2 is also not particular to OpenJ9 (https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/5679914), though I can't recall where else I have this implemented.
    #1 I looked into the current implementation of CDS, and the OpenJ9 version seems more comprehensive in terms of feature set. Also, AOT/native-image may require application changes, whereas CDS/SCC do not. Native-image compilation is also not currently fully reproducible, that was an issue for us when we were looking at it.
    #2 you're probably thinking of the commercial Azul JVM. They have a similar LLVM-based feature, though it's not available in their open source JVM offering.

Comment

OpenJ9 has its place in the Java landscape.
      It uses a lot less memory by default (at the expense of potentially being a bit slower than Hotspot, which for a whole class of Java software does not matter much), thus a good option for memory constrained devices and containers.
      And has others pointed, it can be an alternative to GraalVM's native-image with the Class Loading stuff described in previous posts.
      OpenJ9 is also a good match to run with IBM's OpenLiberty web framework. It is also tailored to run on IBM's mainframes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mangogeddon View Post
        #1 I looked into the current implementation of CDS, and the OpenJ9 version seems more comprehensive in terms of feature set. Also, AOT/native-image may require application changes, whereas CDS/SCC do not. Native-image compilation is also not currently fully reproducible, that was an issue for us when we were looking at it.
        Fair enough.
        Though I would add what worries me more about native-image is not reproducibility (if you validate an executable and push it, you can use that indefinitely), but that you need another layer of tests. Regular developer integration tests* usually manipulate/mock at least some dependencies, thus they do not test the final, native code. I, for one, still haven't figured out how to integrate such tests in the build pipeline.

Originally posted by Mangogeddon View Post
        #2 you're probably thinking of the commercial Azul JVM. They have a similar LLVM-based feature, though it's not available in their open source JVM offering.

Could be, my memory fails me on this one.

*Because "integration tests" means a million things to a million people, I would want to clarify my definition is "tests that address the integration of the components in a given project, while mocking out external systems". Or, if you wish, the maximum you can test without having to fire up other systems (e.g. database, a distributed cache, an authentication server).

Comment

Working...
        X