GCC vs. Clang Compiler Performance On Intel Meteor Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Volta View Post

What a funny troll you are. Embrace extend extinguish is related to proprietary thieves like Microsoft and their BSD slaves. It's a pity Clang is not GPL licensed, but if it produces faster code and it's Open Source it's still a win. What's important Clang defaults to GNU C. Eat this.
    Not trolling, I just don’t like gnu software or the license, I contribute to Clang specifically because it’s license isn’t copyleft and I go out of my way to avoid copyleft software.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
      Your presumption that compilers are introducing behavioral variations without being explicitly told to do so.

This is a good example of not understanding the tools you're using. There's simply no substitute for reading the manual, although doing some web searches and reaching out on somewhere like stackoverflow aren't bad fallbacks, if you're still stuck.
      In scientific computing range and precision are first-order concerns. Practitioners of those fields understand this, and know they need to manage both of those aspects. They would know to seek out details of what's happening in such an acceleration framework. As a dilettante, you did not.

It could be deciding to use a different data type in each case, or perhaps it's performing an invalid optimization based on the combination datatype and range. However, according to the docs, it will not use greater than 64-bit integers, which makes it fundamentally unsuitable for your algorithm. You can try and understand more about what it's doing, but unless it's to satisfy your own curiosity, it seems pointless.

Most importantly: this has nothing to do with GCC or Clang. and is therefore essentially off-topic.

I hope you've learned from this experience to have a little more humility and do a little more diligence, both when you're experimenting with something new & especially when you see a problem or unexpected behavior.
      I take it oh Wise Old Swami that you don't see the irony in your above statements.

First you state that my "presumption" that compilers are introducing behavioral variations without being explicitly told to do so is "paranoia" on my part then you state it could be deciding to use a different data type in each case, or perhaps it's performing an invalid optimization based on the combination datatype and range which means that you think my "presumption" may not be paranoia at all.

But i do have to admit you solved the mystery, Python3 does not have a max int size, it will keep calculating until it runs out of ram, but Numpy and Numba have max int of 32 bit and 64 bit depending on the underlying architecture and OS.

Comment

The reality is Windows users, Microsoft have no clue about security. Their 'security by layerity' model doesn't work and makes their sluggish Windows even more sluggish. Windows is an onion rotten in its core.
        I agree, what does Microsoft know about security? Last year they only made a bit over 218 billion dollars for the twelve months ending September 30, 2023​, it's not like they can afford to pay Senior Software Developers over 225 thousand dollars a year or require that they have at a minimum a Bachelors degree in Comp Sci and 10 years experience writing code:

The median total compensation package for a Senior SDE at Microsoft is $222,821. View more Software Engineer salary ranges with breakdowns by base, stock, and bonus amounts.

I mean what kind of moron would reason that if open source developers were really that much better than Microsoft developers MS would just take a couple of million dollars that they will probably buy lunch with and hire some talented GPL developers and fix Windows once and for all.

I swear, open source fanatics are some of the most lame brain people out there.

What's wrong in hating the BSD license?
        Not a thing, I mean yes it's actually a license about freedom rather than a license about controlling your fellow man, like that commie inspired GPL, but so what?

I agree, everyone should spend their hard earned money going to school, spend years of their lives learning to code and then give their software away for free to twits like you.

Other than software, what else would you like for free?

How about some Free Willie?

Last time you mentioned MAC as Linux' main/only security feature. You have no clue about Linux.
        If I log in as root or give every user on a system 777 permissions, what security mechanisms exist in Linux to prevent the user from wrecking havoc?

List 3 and remember I chmod 777 everything.

Comment

Doesn't Microsoft benefit from this?
          Of course they do, because everyone knows that Windows 11 includes Mesa drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
            Most people don't need infinite integers, and Python acceleration frameworks would perform terribly if they pessimized for them. More importantly, you're expected to know when you actually do need that additional range.
            Please explain to me what pessimized software is? Is it software that doesn't think it can do what I expect it to?

Please explain it to me very slowly, you know how us "arrogant narcissists" are.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
              It is good to see after all these years of developing Clang/LLVM that it can consistently produce faster code than GCC. It is not an easy goal to meet. It also shows how strong GCC still is, as a compiler and also as an open source project. There is no loser here. It is a generational change, and a testament to the strength of open source projects.
              In a sense you are right, there is no loser here, but on another more accurate sense, their is a loser, GCC.

Comment

Originally posted by bumblebritches57 View Post

Not trolling, I just don’t like gnu software or the license, I contribute to Clang specifically because it’s license isn’t copyleft and I go out of my way to avoid copyleft software.
                I'm doing exactly opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

Of course they do, because everyone knows that Windows 11 includes Mesa drivers.
                  That's why Mesa should be GPL licensed. I was thinking about WSL clueless boy.
                  Last edited by Volta; 06 January 2024, 05:03 AM.

Comment

I agree, what does Microsoft know about security? Last year they only made a bit over 218 billion dollars for the twelve months ending September 30, 2023​, it's not like they can afford to pay Senior Software Developers over 225 thousand dollars a year or require that they have at a minimum a Bachelors degree in Comp Sci and 10 years experience writing code:
                    Did you know that most of their money is made on Linux? At least that's what I heard on this forum. A bachelor's degree means nothing this time. I've spoken to such 'programmers' who weren't able to read simple for loop. Ten years writing c# or snake like games in c++. Great programmers m$ have. Another prove you're clueless: if they can afford good programmers then why their performance is even worse than security? Rhetorical question. It seems nobody wants to work for them and/or Windows is not fixable. You'll see bellow.

I mean what kind of moron would reason that if open source developers were really that much better than Microsoft developers MS would just take a couple of million dollars that they will probably buy lunch with and hire some talented GPL developers and fix Windows once and for all.

I swear, open source fanatics are some of the most lame brain people out there.
                    There's such thing like ideals and honor, but you have no clue about them. However, there's another thing you have no clue about: windows is not fixable, because it's broken by design. Nobody will rewrite entire system from scratch. Furthermore, the best developers prefer to work for Google and other companies. It's more prestigious and profitable. I swear, microsoft fanatics are brainwashed. Take this from m$ dev:

I'm a developer in Windows and contribute to the NT kernel. (Proof: the SHA1 hash of revision Favorite Open/Closed Source Games of [Edit: filename redacted] is [Edit: hash redacted].) I'm posting through Tor for obvious reasons.

Windows is indeed slower than other operating systems in many scenarios, and the gap is worsening. The cause of the problem is social. There's almost none of the improvement for its own sake, for the sake of glory, that you see in the Linux world.

Granted, occasionally one sees naive people try to make things better. These people almost always fail. We can and do improve performance for specific scenarios that people with the ability to allocate resources believe impact business goals, but this work is Sisyphean. There's no formal or informal program of systemic performance improvement. We started caring about security because pre-SP3 Windows XP was an existential threat to the business. Our low performance is not an existential threat to the business.

There's also little incentive to create changes in the first place. On linux-kernel, if you improve the performance of directory traversal by a consistent 5%, you're praised and thanked. Here, if you do that and you're not on the object manager team, then even if you do get your code past the Ob owners and into the tree, your own management doesn't care.

Another reason for the quality gap is that that we've been having trouble keeping talented people. Google and other large Seattle-area companies keep poaching our best, most experienced developers, and we hire youths straight from college to replace them. You find SDEs and SDE IIs maintaining hugely import systems. These developers mean well and are usually adequately intelligent, but they don't understand why certain decisions were made, don't have a thorough understanding of the intricate details of how their systems work, and most importantly, don't want to change anything that already works.

These junior developers also have a tendency to make improvements to the system by implementing brand-new features instead of improving old ones. Look at recent Microsoft releases: we don't fix old features, but accrete new ones. New features help much more at review time than improvements to old ones.

We can't touch named pipes. Let's add INTERNAL_NOTIFICATION_SYSTEM! And let's make it inconsistent with virtually every other named NT primitive.

We can't expose INTERNAL_NOTIFICATION_SYSTEM to the rest of the world because we don't want to fill out paperwork and we're not losing sales because we only have 1990s-era Win32 APIs available publicly.

We can't touch DCOM. So we create another Chash_REMOTING_FLAVOR_OF_THE_WEEK!
                    XNA. Need I say more?

Why would anyone need an archive format that supports files larger than 2GB?

Let's support symbolic links, but make sure that nobody can use them so we don't get blamed for security vulnerabilities (Great! Now we get to look sage and responsible!)
                    We can't touch Source Depot, so let's hack together SDX!

We can't touch SDX, so let's pretend for four releases that we're moving to TFS while not actually changing anything!

Oh god, the NTFS code is a purple opium-fueled Victorian horror novel that uses global recursive locks and SEH for flow control. Let's write ReFs instead. (And hey, let's start by copying and pasting the NTFS source code and removing half the features! Then let's add checksums, because checksums are cool, right, and now with checksums we're just as good as ZFS? Right? And who needs quotas anyway?)

We just can't be f..ed to implement C11 support, and variadic templates were just too hard to implement in a year. (But ohmygosh we turned [...] into a reference-counted pointer operator. Oh, and what's a reference cycle?)

It explains you very well and it's another prove you have no clue about any single thing you write.

Not a thing, I mean yes it's actually a license about freedom rather than a license about controlling your fellow man, like that commie inspired GPL, but so what?
                    No, it's a slave license against freedom. It supports microsoft clueless programmers. GPL is nature inspired, so in normal world you wouldn't be able to steal water source and sell it.

I agree, everyone should spend their hard earned money going to school, spend years of their lives learning to code and then give their software away for free to twits like you.
                    Everything is better than writing clueless nonsense like you.

Other than software, what else would you like for free?
                    For free, clueless boy? Is Red Hat doing what it's doing for free?

If I log in as root or give every user on a system 777 permissions, what security mechanisms exist in Linux to prevent the user from wrecking havoc?

List 3 and remember I chmod 777 everything.
                    SELinux clueless boy and you can specify which commands sudo user can use. However, if you're doing stupid things as an administrator then you should expect stupid outcome. I don't wonder anymore why your post are so dumb. Last time I showed you how insecure Windows is. It seems you don't accept reality. How can one say about 'security' when Internet Explorer is critical component of an OS? Are you fkng kidding me?! Oh, did you forget dozens of Windows remote exploits I have showed you?
                    Last edited by Volta; 06 January 2024, 05:11 AM.

Comment

In a sense you are right, there is no loser here, but on another more accurate sense, their is a loser, GCC.
                      Hello everybody,

I would like to apologize for my posts under nickname "sophisticles" and "hel88".

the thing is, I am very sick person. Schizophrenia with manic depression.
                      When I'm on my medication like now, I feel ashamed for the things that I do when not on medication.

For example, when I'm not using my therapy properly I get this crazy tendency to troll on linux forums. For that devious purpose I am using nicknames "sophisticles" and "hel88". under those nicknames I write crazy, insane things. when I am on regular therapy like now, I cannot believe the crap that I wrote under those 2 nicknames.

overall, I would like all of you to know that I don't really mean what I write under those 2 nicknames and also, I love linux, open source and gpl. and yes, microsoft sucks.​

Comment

Working...
                      X