X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

But it's easy to code!
    no, it's not.

with python you believe you're done with your project very fast.

* then it takes a week to deploy correctly on production server
    * then it takes 6 months of crashes and downtimes to spot all bugs due to the dynamic nature of the language

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
      Python proving once again why it's a nightmare clown language. getopt/optparse are used by an immense amount of scripts out there.

Maybe it should deprecate itself next, because I'm sick of code written by people who stops working or has specific python version requirements, so I have to keep old versions around. At least then I won't have to deal with it anymore (no, it's not my code).
      That behavior in a programming language like Python reminds me OH SO MUCH of programs written in Java.

Granted, Java, like Python, is useful but....

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
        Python proving once again why it's a nightmare clown language. getopt/optparse are used by an immense amount of scripts out there.

Maybe it should deprecate itself next, because I'm sick of code written by people who stops working or has specific python version requirements, so I have to keep old versions around. At least then I won't have to deal with it anymore (no, it's not my code).
        i've never seen optparse or getopt in any python code. but getting booted from core doesn't mean you have to rewrite the code, i'm sure someone will put it on pypi so it will be just a pip install away, or you can just vendor it into your tree yourself now and never have to worry about this.

Comment

with python you believe you're done with your project very fast... then it takes 6 months of crashes and downtimes to spot all bugs.
          I don't know what Python you are using or coding techniques, but I've not run into this. At work, our Python applications just run 24x7. Nary a problem. When I get called out with a problem, it is usually something to do with the network or firewall(s) (not my problem), or the entity on the other end is down... Only a once in while is there an 'actual' local problem. That usually ends up being a cert problem, or Windows needs to be rebooted. That said, call outs on the production systems are rare anyway. So have to say, my experience is completely different than yours.

i've never seen optparse or getopt in any python code
          I've never used them. Any minor command line parsing, I've just done it myself in code.
          Last edited by rclark; 15 October 2023, 04:01 PM.

Comment

I realize it's only a "soft deprecate", but this whole "here's the way", "now it's crapola" thing is just so so so php like. Will my old python program run? Answer: of course not, it's Python.

Comment

Originally posted by cjcox View Post
              I realize it's only a "soft deprecate", but this whole "here's the way", "now it's crapola" thing is just so so so php like. Will my old python program run? Answer: of course not, it's Python.
              Correct me if I'm wrong but this why Perl is better than Python! It has use version which lets you use any prior version.

Comment

Python 3.12 already breaks the Firefox compile process and now they want to drop even more stuff in 3.13.

Comment

In the old days, the convention is intentional backward compatibility breakage are only for major version upgrade. Now things can just happen at any time. What a convenience.

It's "okay" for Linux kernel because the "major version number" is just a decoration now. And there are LTS maintenance.

Comment

Originally posted by billyswong View Post
                    In the old days, the convention is intentional backward compatibility breakage are only for major version upgrade. Now things can just happen at any time. What a convenience.

It's "okay" for Linux kernel because the "major version number" is just a decoration now. And there are LTS maintenance.
                    If you're going to complain about something, at least be right about it. Python does not follow semantic versioning. If they were, it would be "Python 3, the language", version 13.0; Treat the minor/patch numbers as major/minor.

Even in the "old days", "semantic versioning" wasn't followed. The whole idea of "semantic versioning" was codifying what people sometimes did. Breaking changes in minor and patch releases still frequently happened.
                    Last edited by colejohnson66; 16 October 2023, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzie View Post

i've never seen optparse or getopt in any python code. but getting booted from core doesn't mean you have to rewrite the code, i'm sure someone will put it on pypi so it will be just a pip install away, or you can just vendor it into your tree yourself now and never have to worry about this.
                      If you haven't seen optparse, you never looked at the source code of pip: https://github.com/search?q=repo%3Ap...arse&type=code , and seems pip has no plans to remove optparse, so if optparse gets removed, you won't be "pip install"ing it

Comment

Working...
                      X