Mold 2.0 High Speed Linker Released: Moves From AGPL To MIT License

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zcansi View Post
    When I read the headline I hoped they had found a corporate sponsor, sadly that wasn't the case. Still happy that this code will now be more widely useful.
    No corporate sponsor is going to sponsor a project named “Mold”.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Rui has multiple corporate GitHub sponsors. No major international company, still you are wrong.

Comment

Why move to a cuck license though?

Comment

Originally posted by mathletic View Post

Rui has multiple corporate GitHub sponsors. No major international company, still you are wrong.
          Ah, there we go again: someone who has turned off emojis. Please enable emojis and read my post again, so that you can clearly see that I was making a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by ssam View Post

Companies that are happy to contribute to the community have no problem with the GPL.​
            And what community night that be? The "big tech invasive unethical misinforming manipulative exploitative business models" community? Yeah I bet those peoples just love the GPL, it was after all, hand tailored to suit them I am sure that evil companies love contributing to the collective evil fund that's got this cheap facade that screams "freedom" in high contrast.

The thing that puzzles me tho, is why I, as an independent sovereign human being, would celebrate the empowerment of evil that wants humans reduced to cogs? Because I crave oppression and degeneracy or something?

They way I see it, those guys made a way, way better linker, that RUNS circles around the "GPL" linker.

And a much better linker deserves a much better license. And really, it is shame on the GPL "community" for not having picked that low hanging fruit for decades in a row. It is not rocket science, just nobody bothered to fix it, because why do it efficiently when we can just keep on buying more powerful systems to carry the extra bloat.

Curious occurrence, that a small team managed to best so dramatically the combined effort of the "community" to suddenly find itself restricted by GPL, the bringer of ultimate pure raw freedom.

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Rust is just as bad, and even worse for metal mechanisms as Mold is to things it eats.​

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
              I'm familiar with the AGPL as a tool to force server-only solutions to remain copylefted, but how does it apply to a linker? Would any binary that was linked using Mold under AGPL require the underlying source to be AGPL? That would definitely kill usage for a wide range of customers.

Going MIT will definitely make Mold easier to use in more cases.
              No it just means somebody using the AGPL software internally, have to provide local patches they make upstream. But only changes to the AGPL code is affected, nothing else.

Comment

Originally posted by ddriver View Post
                Good for them!

I like how gpl is "all about freedom" and then gives you zero options and expects total conformity in return.

So much freedom... is unbearable.
                You never heard of the LGPL?

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

You never heard of the LGPL?
                  I've heard of it and I've been using it for some 11 years now, reluctantly, for lack of better options. Reluctance that's about proportional to the reluctance with which the FSF issued this "a little too little and a little too late" as a desperate measure needed to maintain some relevancy. It must have cut right into RMS's little black hearth to offer such a concession. Yet still, not even close to setting things right. An anemic, minimal effort really.

Comment

Originally posted by ddriver View Post

I've heard of it and I've been using it for some 11 years now, reluctantly, for lack of better options. Reluctance that's about proportional to the reluctance with which the FSF issued this "a little too little and a little too late" as a desperate measure needed to maintain some relevancy. It must have cut right into RMS's little black hearth to offer such a concession. Yet still, not even close to setting things right. An anemic, minimal effort really.
                    Have you checked out MPLv2?

Comment

Originally posted by wswartzendruber View Post
                      Have you checked out MPLv2?
                      I am not really interested in adopting existing licenses, I merely link under lgpl.

I am in the process of setting up my own license, development codename ufuc.lic.

UFUC stands for "universal fair use conditions".

Comment

Working...
                      X