MySQL 8.1 Released With More JSON Additions, Other Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

No experience in both, but MariaDB added many JSON stuff since at least 2021. Maybe someone could explain about this.
    Maybe you were really dreaming about a phoronix benchmark to settle this ?

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post
      MariaDB has market share of 2.21% in relational-databases market. MariaDB competes with 39 competitor tools in relational-databases category. The top alternatives for MariaDB relational-databases tool are MySQL with 43.89%, PostgreSQL with 17.36%, Oracle Database with 12.32% market share.​
      So MariaDB is basically the desktop Linux of SQL systems.
      Last edited by Vistaus; 20 July 2023, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
        Is anyone using this instead of Maria?
        I do, when something I want doesn't support PostgreSQL. Why - would you ask?

Well, the MySQL 5- was merely a database-like product. Then Oracle came to fix that (all the compatibility flags introduced and gradually changing defaults) for v8 and then the same guys, who couldn't do proper RDBMS without Oracle help before ...continue to work on their "better" version (hopefully including Oracle fixes).

The point is - I don't trust MariaDB guys, as they've proved to be incompetent before. I don't trust they won't break this again (the least surprise principle).

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

So MariaDB is basically the Linux of SQL systems.
          Not at all. Linux dominates some markets and is superior in some areas, MariaDB is not. If anything - PostgreSQL is Linux of SQL systems. It has strong position in various areas, commercial versions with support (Greenplum, EnterpriseDB) and it outweights MSSQL and MariaDB in general (which are better only for specific use-cases).

But this picture doesn't include Oracle DB, which is techically superior in every aspect - there is no operating system superior to Linux (and paid with gold), so the analogy fails.

MariaDB might be the efault-choice just like SQLite, when suggested by some software provider. But when it comes to choosing real RDBMS, not some "storage" with SQL query language, it's usually not the first one (until some of it's features are better match or ...easier than in PostgreSQL).

I guess that if you remove the default installations (e.g. WordPress) and count the ones that were picked up more carefully, you wouldn't find much of MariaDB nor MySQL. The first one is untrusty (these guys coundn't create ACID-compliant RDBMS with triggers and foreign keys for years, there were many suprising query results, at least by default), the latter is Oracle, a different kind of mistrust.

Here the analogy also fails, as it's hard to imagine Linux being used "as a default", not by some conscious decistion.

Comment

Originally posted by gotar View Post

Not at all. Linux dominates some markets and is superior in some areas, MariaDB is not.
            You're right: I meant desktop Linux, my mistake. Both MariaDB and desktop Linux have similar market share.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post

As in... SQLite?
              If you don't know what to use and SQLite does everything you need, then thats fine.
              Really every other SQL implementation is just about letting teams of people manage them. That's it. If you're a one-man team or even a two-man team, SQLite is perfectly fine. If you're running a 50 man team maintaining a huge website where your database is the heart of your business, then yeah, you want something with more sophisticated administration systems. Otherwise, just out of pure functionality, SQLite is good enough. It has some primitive JSON functionality, although I don't even consider JSON because I feel like if you're just shoving JSON into a SQL database, you're either not designing your tables right or you just shouldn't be using SQL.
              Basically:
              Applications, AI, custom filetypes, etc., use SQLite.
              Websites, multi-service backend architecture, use PostgreSQL.
              Or to make it even simpler, if you're port-forwarding and it's not a small video game server, use Postgres. Anything else, Postgres is overkill.
              Yup SQLite, no config, no server, it just works... it's nice.
              I've heard of PostgreSQL for the past 2 decades, maybe one day I should try, I'm sure it's already installed as a dep for something anyway.
              Thank you!

Originally posted by gotar View Post

I do, when something I want doesn't support PostgreSQL. Why - would you ask?

Well, the MySQL 5- was merely a database-like product. Then Oracle came to fix that (all the compatibility flags introduced and gradually changing defaults) for v8 and then the same guys, who couldn't do proper RDBMS without Oracle help before ...continue to work on their "better" version (hopefully including Oracle fixes).

The point is - I don't trust MariaDB guys, as they've proved to be incompetent before. I don't trust they won't break this again (the least surprise principle).
              Ooooh I did blindly trust them, my bad.
              Thank you for this and your next post!

Comment

Working...
              X