Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCC Adopts A Code of Conduct

Phoronix: GCC Adopts A Code of Conduct

While a few years late compared to many other open-source projects adopting a Code of Conduct, the GCC Steering Committee has now adopted a Code of Conduct "CoC" for this open-source compiler project...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nooooooooooooo.... another project falling into the trap.

Why is this necessary? Common sense is a thing...
    Last edited by tildearrow; 21 June 2023, 06:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Ideally yes. But common sense is very rare thing today especially in the tech industry where the boundaries between online and offline have faded away. Strictly policing people is unfortunately well indeed needed.

Comment

It obviously isn't otherwise we wouldn't have so many shitheads in Open Source. Though you can also look at it the other way around: If you have a CoC, then you have formal rules around moderation with the option to appeal. The problems for some people is simply, that the CoC-team is aligned with the members/moderators of the project and not a third-party "neutral" entity, which makes sense, because a CoC Team should enforce the rules the community set itself, not what some external parties want.

People disliking something like that might want to think about why they dislike it.

Comment

Common sense is, indeed, a thing, except in some uncommon circumstances. Read the quote again:

"The vast majority of the time, the GCC community is a very civil, cooperative space. On the rare occasions that it isn't, it's helpful to have something to point to to remind people of our expectations."

In other words, the CoC won't change much in practice. It's just codifying common sense in concrete language.

Comment

Just ignore it...
            What's stated in the CoC is just common sense, if you understand common sense this document will not be relevant to you.
            I'm not sure why this is even news.

Comment

Originally posted by ClosedSource View Post
              Ideally yes. But common sense is very rare thing today especially in the tech industry where the boundaries between online and offline have faded away.
              The article said:
              "The vast majority of the time, the GCC community is a very civil, cooperative space. On the rare occasions that it isn't ...
              You somehow managed to turn it 180°

Originally posted by ClosedSource View Post
              Strictly policing people is unfortunately well indeed needed.
              No it's not.

The next passage is the real thing:
              More importantly, if there is offensive behavior that isn't corrected immediately
              Meaning, you cant tell anyone he screwed up because he will feel offended. I'm not sure why all CoCks need such a fishy definition, it just opens doors to unjustice and gives small groups the power to destroy projects.

Comment

To everyone who complains about the Code of Conduct, all I can say is, what really matters is not the CoC itself but how you use it.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420
                  Since we're living on Earth, does that mean they won't accept Outreachy interns since Outreachy goes out of its way to discriminate people like me? A straight white guy. Globally, people of my description are a minority.
                  the heck are you talking about.

Originally posted by skeevy420

karolherbst My only issue with the GCC CoC is 2/3s of this one, unnecessary, line.

Everything in bold is unnecessary. If you've ever been in a room with a bunch of the same people you'd know that no matter how diverse or homogenized the environment, some asshole will start some shit. Y'all CoC writers don't have to go Full Woke.

I can rewrite that CoC into something much easier:

1. Don't be an asshole.

That's it. Don't be an asshole. That's the only rule that needs to be followed since all the rest of the rules are explaining how not to be an asshole.
                  Sadly that's not enough in reality as people generally don't agree on what it means to be an asshole.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
                    Meaning, you cant tell anyone he screwed up because he will feel offended. I'm not sure why all CoCks need such a fishy definition, it just opens doors to unjustice and gives small groups the power to destroy projects.
                    that's bullshit and you know it. CoC won't disallow telling others they screwed up. It's only disallows to be a dick about it.

Comment

Working...
                    X