sudo & su Being Rewritten In Rust For Memory Safety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
    However, my point was not about what's been done to push EV's, but if ICE was dead technology-wise or not. And my previous post outlined that it's not dead technology-wise yet. Whether or not it's *viable* long term is a different subject.
    Well, ICE has stage four incurable cancer, of course, it will never die completely just like horse carriages never went away completely. But it will be gone as a transport method within the next 10-20 years. No matter what anyone thinks, the demise is as certain as the sun rising tomorrow.

Future is never 100% certain though, but...

Comment

Originally posted by unwind-protect View Post

Linux grew a little stronger than the BSDs after being introduced around the same time, true. But to attribute all that to the license is misguided.
      'little stronger' - good joke. Linux ate bsd's for breakfast. And the license played big role in this.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

'little stronger' - good joke. Linux ate bsd's for breakfast. And the license played big role in this.
        the license had very little to do with it. it was at least 90% because of one frivolous lawsuit (USL v. BSDi), in which the BSD license was irrelevant. if USL had somehow won that lawsuit instead of just dragging it out for two years, they definitely would have been coming for Linux next, and Linux would have ended up in the same position the BSDs were in the early 90s.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilHowl View Post

I think I chose the wrong wording in my last post. What I really meant is that, as you said, idiomatic C and C++ are very different. They are so different that you should not call yourself a C++ programmer if you are just using iostreams surrounded by C code. That might have been true 30 years ago, but not today.
          One of the main ideas of C++ is that developers can use whatever programming style they want. You can write entirely class free code and still be writing C++. C++ is whatever the C++ compiler will accept.

C has held back C++ so much that I believe the only way to salvage this language is to "break the ABI", remove every bad design decision inspired by the early programming days and C and start over again.
          They already broke the ABI with C++11 and it was a nightmare that nobody wants to repeat. You might as well make your own language like the Carbon guys are doing.
          Last edited by ryao; 07 May 2023, 03:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

BSD had won until the AT&T lawsuit. The AT&T lawsuit forced everyone to look for alternatives and Linux was the only open source alternative. It succeeded in spite of the license stigmatizing it in business circles for many years.

Comment

By the way, people that say "C/C++" often think that they are basically the same thing. Do note that while C and C++ may look somewhat similar, C is not a subset of C++. They are very independent languages with different ISO working groups and different features, made for different things. A C developer is not a C++ developer, or the other way around.
              They are basically dialects of the same language. That is how the same compiler frontend for LLVM can support C, C++ as well as Objective C and Objective C++. You would not see the same front end be able to support both C and FORTRAN, since those two are actually different languages.

Comment

Working...
              X