Rust Word Marks and Logos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

They're assholes. That's the only reason I can think of.

It's even worse than that. One of their examples was "Cargo Net". A fishing program written in Rust can't be called "Cargo Net".

A shipping container program can't be called "cargo-monitor" if it's written in Rust.

What about the game Rust? Is that not prior art? What if they update some of their code to use the Rust language? How is that supposed to work? Is there a grandfather clause I didn't see?

What if someone wrote a program that models iron oxidizing, AKA rusting, in the Rust language. They're not allowed to call it iron-rust-modeler.

A SpongeBob game couldn't be called the Krusty Krab if it was written in Rust.
    I kinda doubt that is what they are aiming for with it and I am sure the crustations in charge will tweak the guidelines and provide examples of how they intend this to be used before it becomes official.

I am gonna go with "time will tell" rather than jump on the "they are assholes" bandwagon

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

I kinda doubt that is what they are aiming for with it and I am sure the crustations in charge will tweak the guidelines and provide examples of how they intend this to be used before it becomes official.

I am gonna go with "time will tell" rather than jump on the "they are assholes" bandwagon
      I really hope so. Their current revision reads like it was written by an overly zealous legal department that is completely out of touch with reality.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
        and hired an attorney and couldn't comprehend anything that is written in this draft
        “The Foundation engaged US attorney Pam Chesteck who is the author of the open source and trademarks chapter in my book and who is generally recognized as the leading light on trade marks to work with them on the draft policy. It’s currently a consultation stage document – I suspect the final document that’s shared will look quite different.”

He inverts his Y axis on every single video game he plays. He should be a lot better with scrolling directions and down is up, up is down situations
        it's simple, the page is visually scrolling (sliding) up when you're traversing downward, just stop using the words, switch to 'go to the bottom of the page' or 'go below', in fact on touch screens you swipe up to go down on a page (ironically on laptop touchpads i still prefer not to invert them)

generally i think i refrain from 'micromanaging' (microdescribing?) when giving instructions, maybe that has to do with there being multiple ways to do an action for most things on computing devices such as 'raise the volume' = tray icon click slider, tray icon mousewheel, keyboard hotkey, media player slider/hotkey, physical speaker knob

when someone is driving you dont tell them to press the gas pedal or turn their wheel a certain way, right? it's 'speed up' or 'go into this street', the focus is on where you want to go same as being the driver/rider/pilot (in fact this is why large input lag in a non-arcade racing game is playable)

i can never understand inverting in games though... except when flying, also i'm assuming this is with sticks where it can be debatable, inverted mouse in an fps is bizarre
        Last edited by kn00tcn; 13 April 2023, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kn00tcn View Post
          “The Foundation engaged US attorney Pam Chesteck who is the author of the open source and trademarks chapter in my book and who is generally recognized as the leading light on trade marks to work with them on the draft policy. It’s currently a consultation stage document – I suspect the final document that’s shared will look quite different.”
          We can only hope.

it's simple, the page is visually scrolling (sliding) up when you're traversing downward, just stop using the words, switch to 'go to the bottom of the page' or 'go below', in fact on touch screens you swipe up to go down on a page (ironically on laptop touchpads i still prefer not to invert them)

generally i think i refrain from 'micromanaging' (microdescribing?) when giving instructions, maybe that has to do with there being multiple ways to do an action for most things on computing devices such as 'raise the volume' = tray icon click slider, tray icon mousewheel, keyboard hotkey, media player slider/hotkey, physical speaker knob

when someone is driving you dont tell them to press the gas pedal or turn their wheel a certain way, right? it's 'speed up' or 'go into this street', the focus is on where you want to go same as being the driver/rider/pilot (in fact this is why large input lag in a non-arcade racing game is playable)

i can never understand inverting in games though... except when flying, also i'm assuming this is with sticks where it can be debatable, inverted mouse in an fps is bizarre
          I get where he's coming from and how moving the finger up is scrolling up, however, and this is a big however, this is a 30 year issue between everyone else in the family and him. From me being 8 years old and trying to teach him how to click the start menu this has been an issue.

He still can't click the start menu. He could never get over left and right clicking. I never understood that one button Mac mouse until I tried using a PC with my Dad and had a light bulb moment.

On the rest, all he knows how to do is micromanage. No point in going into that.

Yeah, controller gaming. I'm the same way in regards to stick inversion. I have to invert my right stick Y axis. If it makes sense like this, I see the stick as controlling the head on a neck where pushing the head forward makes it look down and pushing it backwards looks up.

My mouse stays regular....except for maybe flight. I've never done that with a mouse so I don't know.

Comment

I really hope so. Their current revision reads like it was written by an overly zealous legal department that is completely out of touch with reality.
            Originally posted by boxie View Post

​sadly this was written with the input and OK of most of the rust-lang core team, not just the foundation

I would keep your expectations tempered. this absurdity came from the very leaders of the rust team, not some interns, legal dept, or otherwise.

Comment

My mouse stays regular....except for maybe flight. I've never done that with a mouse so I don't know.
              fun trivia: live for speed, a racing sim game, offered a mode where you steer with the mouse, imagine a bar on screen with a | that moves as you move the mouse so you can go back to center (but i grew up playing racing sims on keyboard so i have no trouble fairly precisely driving without analog sticks or wheels, in fact i find rally easier on keyboard, and i'm pretty sure a lot of good trackmania players are also on keyboard)

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
                ​sadly this was written with the input and OK of most of the rust-lang core team, not just the foundation

I would keep your expectations tempered. this absurdity came from the very leaders of the rust team, not some interns, legal dept, or otherwise.
                Textbook response: "you guys got it all wrong, we mean good, also you are so mean, therefore we'll discard everything you say, and we only accept feedback via our obtuse channel, and sentiment analysis applied to public spaces is something that doesn't exist".
                I'm baffled, completely. I had no idea this kind of people were directing Rust. Hopefully this sparks innovation elsewhere and a solid C replacement carrying innovations in language design and formal analysis can pop up, as opposed to a replacement for C++/Java.

Comment

I know I'm a little pessimistic with such cases. But I'ts a common way for free software projects to destroy themselfes with a money horny management that trys to regulate every aspect without any respect to the core values of the original project. I dearly hope I'm wrong but the pattern is all too familiar.
                  Look how debian has become a political party that manages a software project on the side. See how Stallman got defamed by many big open source projects for things he never said or did. Mozilla corp ruining the best browser project that ever existed. The list is endless, from stupid CoCs that try to police every word you say and force you into their newspech agenda to corrupt project management that want's to sue everyone and make big money.

If I didn't care about rust I would just laugh sadly and go on with my live but I think rust is one of the best attempts towards bug free software which should be the main goal of every programmer and loosing it to some stupid money making politics enrages me (a little bit).

If rust destroys itself then there is always the posibillity to fork it and make verdigris the new rust and freight the new cargo. This would free us from those useless trademark policys, rust in pieces.

The C++ Logo is public domain and their trademark expicitly allows the use of it for basically everything. What's so different with rust that they can not just take a look how others do it? Or is the C++ Trademark somehow widely missused and I never noticed it?

Comment

Originally posted by chocolate View Post
                    Textbook response: "you guys got it all wrong, we mean good, also you are so mean, therefore we'll discard everything you say, and we only accept feedback via our obtuse channel, and sentiment analysis applied to public spaces is something that doesn't exist".
                    I'm baffled, completely. I had no idea this kind of people were directing Rust. Hopefully this sparks innovation elsewhere and a solid C replacement carrying innovations in language design and formal analysis can pop up, as opposed to a replacement for C++/Java.
                    I don't particularly care about the response itself since an actual response will be down the line, and they have certainly heard the criticisms. but rather the admission that nearly all of the core rust team had input on the draft, and presumably had OK'd it (and if they didn't OK it that's just as bad for a different reason)

Comment

Working...
                    X