No announcement yet.

Rust Support Is Being Worked On For The Linux Kernel's V4L2/Media Subsystem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rclark, by that logic, C should have just used JE, JNE, JNZ, etc. from assembly and not had weird things like if/for/while/do.

Powerful pattern matching is a time-tested aspect of functional languages and, as someone who switched to Rust from languages like Python and Javascript (and yes, I do use C in my retro-hobby programming for lack of Rust), I wouldn't give it up for the world.

Again, Rust isn't "a better C++"... it's a GC-less ML derivative with syntax made more C++-like to make it look less alien to mainstream programmers. Based on the "my favourite language is God's gift to programming and everything should be like it" in your logic, I could argue that we should throw out your favourite language because it's not enough like the language I think is best.

You can't blame the people who designed Rust to meet their own niche (Just as Go was designed to serve the roles that Google was using C++ for, Rust was designed to serve the roles Mozilla was using C++ for) because it was a self-itch-scratch. The most justifiable position you can take is to fault all the people switching to it because "stop liking what I don't like!"

(Sorry. Can't quote-reply properly. Broken site template until we tick over to a new page.)

Comment

ryao, Good point. Pascal was also hamstrung by taking so long to outgrow being designed so tightly to be only a teaching language.

(Sorry I can't quote-reply properly. Broken site template until the page rolls over.)

Comment

Working...
      X