Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dozens Of Rust Updates Merged Ahead Of GCC 13.1

Phoronix: Dozens Of Rust Updates Merged Ahead Of GCC 13.1

While the release of GCC 13.1 as the first stable GCC 13 compiler is due out in the next few weeks, ahead of that milestone dozens of Rust "gccrs" patches were merged today for furthering along that new language support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Looks like they went wild with the RUST-oleum in this patch drop.

Comment

Well, rust must be an extremely difficult language when even the developers say "... have been hard at work trying to get the Rust core library to compile"

Comment

Originally posted by lowflyer View Post
        Well, rust must be an extremely difficult language when even the developers say "... have been hard at work trying to get the Rust core library to compile"
        Indeed, it's not an easy language to implement. Lots of feature. From complex sum types over lambdas, traits and whatnot. They also need inline assembly and C calling conventions for the core library.

Definitively more complex than writing a JavaScript interpreter.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
          Apparently you have never seen how many quirks and strange behaviors are part of a standards-compliant Javascript implementation.

Comment

Indeed, it's not an easy language to implement. Lots of feature. From complex sum types over lambdas, traits and whatnot. They also need inline assembly and C calling conventions for the core library.

I wait for the day when somebody finally admits that rust is more complicated than C++. But then the problem is: once you got the rust on it's difficult to get it off.

Comment

I wait for the day when somebody finally admits that rust is more complicated than C++. But then the problem is: once you got the rust on it's difficult to get it off.
              I know both languages quite well. Personally, I think rust is easier to learn than C++ since the rust compiler is a better tutor than e.g. clang.

Comment

I know both languages quite well. Personally, I think rust is easier to learn than C++ since the rust compiler is a better tutor than e.g. clang.
                Perhaps it is easier. I don't know rust that well. But be careful to compare apples with apples. The clang compiler alone is not the same thing as the whole rust environment with borough-checker and the rest of the tools. No serious C++ developer uses a compiler alone.

Comment

No serious C++ developer uses a compiler alone.
                  True, you also need clang-tidy, asan, cppcheck and you need to run your tests in valgrind. That's at least what we do at work.

But that's what I meant: better out of box experience leads to easier learning.

Comment

"Complicated" is subjective. The Rust compiler is of course infinitely more complex than a C compiler. Compared to C++ it's a mixed bag. The C++ parser is mind-blowingly complex, parsing Rust is mostly straightforward. On the other hand, C++ type checking is simplistic and building a SSA graph for C++ is not particularly hard. Rust is considerably more complex in that regard.

It doesn't matter anyway. Unlike C but like C++, Rust was not created to be easy to write compilers for.

Comment

Working...
                    X