Ruby Lands New "RJIT" Just-In-Time Compiler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by peterdk View Post

Funny, I really love Ruby. Especially it's syntax. Can't get used to Python, it's so ugly. But did move from Ruby to C# (also similar nice method naming) and am now on Kotlin for Android dev work. Ah yeah, everybody his own preference.
    I disagree with Python being ugly, I think Python is so simple and clean that it often looks like pseudocode. I even see tendencies that often it has replaced pseudocode.

I think both C# and Kotlin are much, much nicer than Ruby. I really like C#.

Originally posted by fitzie View Post

I still dislike ruby, but it was really that I was tired of all the sigils from my perl coding days, and really appreciated how few python had, along with the nice whitespace and freedom from '{' '}'. but with modern python decorators & typing, you will now see lots of ':' '@' '|' and abominations like '-> Dict[str|int,Any]' which eliminates a lot of the charm simple python had.
    Well nobody forces you to use decorators or type hints. Decorators aren't even so common, and as for type hints some people use type hints and love them while others don't use type hints at all.

The | (pipe character) isn't some strange thing Python thing, it is commonly used for union types in other languages such as PHP, Kotlin and TypeScript. The : (colon characer) isn't some strange Python thing eiher, it is commonly used for typing in other languages such as PHP, Kotlin, TypeScript and Rust. The -> (for return types) isn't some strange Python thing that either, it is commonly used in other languages such as Kotlin and Rust.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

I disagree with Python being ugly, I think Python is so simple and clean that it often looks like pseudocode. I even see tendencies that often it has replaced pseudocode.

I think both C# and Kotlin are much, much nicer than Ruby. I really like C#.

Well nobody forces you to use decorators or type hints. Decorators aren't even so common, and as for type hints some people use type hints and love them while others don't use type hints at all.

The | (pipe character) isn't some strange thing Python thing, it is commonly used for union types in other languages such as PHP, Kotlin and TypeScript. The : (colon characer) isn't some strange Python thing eiher, it is commonly used for typing in other languages such as PHP, Kotlin, TypeScript and Rust. The -> (for return types) isn't some strange Python thing that either, it is commonly used in other languages such as Kotlin and Rust.
      pretty much all libraries encourage you to use decorators these days (typer, click, sqlalchemy, fastapi, dataclasses, pydantic, attrs, etc.). I agree that it's not weird that python chose to add these chars to the language spec, and that it's still possible to write python code without all these new chars littering the code, but it is now common to see these new chars, and that does take away from some of the charm (IMO) of simple python..

Comment

It would be great if a website that specializes in "Latest Linux Hardware Reviews, Open-Source News & Benchmarks" could do a few benchmarks of the different JITs...

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post
          It would be great if a website that specializes in "Latest Linux Hardware Reviews, Open-Source News & Benchmarks" could do a few benchmarks of the different JITs...

Checkout the pull request

full diff1: 55367b3...22d944c Description This PR replaces the current implementation of MJIT with a new JIT called "RJIT" 2. RJIT uses a pure-Ruby assembler to generate native code MJIT requires...

223297312-cc106c40-f0c2-44d4-97e1-d3d49a0839e4.png

Comment

Working...
          X