Zstd Gets A Few Fixes For Linux 6.3 While The Big Update Delayed To v6.4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zstd Gets A Few Fixes For Linux 6.3 While The Big Update Delayed To v6.4

Phoronix: Zstd Gets A Few Fixes For Linux 6.3 While The Big Update Delayed To v6.4

Merged last cycle was a big Zstd update for Linux 6.2 that took the kernel's Zstandard compression/decompression implementation to match that of upstream v1.5 after being stuck in the v1.4 series for more than a year. Following that, Zstd 1.5.4 was released last month. The hope was Zstd 1.5.4 would quickly follow into the mainline kernel while that is now delayed to Linux 6.4 and for the 6.3 kernel cycle seeing just a few fixes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's a bit of a bummer for BTRFS users who could greatly benefit from performance increases from the latest lib version.

Comment

Originally posted by jadbox View Post
      That's a bit of a bummer for BTRFS users who could greatly benefit from performance increases from the latest lib version.
      I am pretty sure the BTRFS users appreciate the extra quality assurance to keep their file systems safe and will gladly wait a bit for a performance increase. At least I do.

Comment

Originally posted by jadbox View Post
        Unless you are using an arch which recently got new assembly routines (aarch64 or arm32 I believe), there aren't any big gains coming anymore.

The last big improvements are from code that's not ending up in the kernel (or DSO), but some more threading for file IO in the zstd commandline tool - only affecting that tool.

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post

Unless you are using an arch which recently got new assembly routines (aarch64 or arm32 I believe), there aren't any big gains coming anymore.

The last big improvements are from code that's not ending up in the kernel (or DSO), but some more threading for file IO in the zstd commandline tool - only affecting that tool.
          Aren't there a few more things of interest from https://github.com/facebook/zstd/releases/tag/v1.5.4 for our kernel?

Comment

Working...
          X