Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNU Binutils 2.40 Released With AMD Zen 4 & Upcoming Intel Instructions, Zstd Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNU Binutils 2.40 Released With AMD Zen 4 & Upcoming Intel Instructions, Zstd Support

Phoronix: GNU Binutils 2.40 Released With AMD Zen 4 & Upcoming Intel Instructions, Zstd Support

Out today is GNU Binutils 2.40 as the latest feature update to this wide collection of key binary utilities found on Linux systems and other platforms...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Objcopy's --decomporess-debug-sections

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      Typo:
      Whoops, thanks!
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

- The linker also adds -w / --no-warnings options to suppress the generation of any warnings or error messages if there is a need to create a known, non-working binary.
        I'm struggling to think of a use case for this..? Unit tests of ELF parsers? You would probably want to have specific hand made examples committed in your git repo for that, rather than rely on being able to build the same broken ones in the future...

Comment

Originally posted by Vorpal View Post

I'm struggling to think of a use case for this..? Unit tests of ELF parsers? You would probably want to have specific hand made examples committed in your git repo for that, rather than rely on being able to build the same broken ones in the future...
          Testing/abusing things sounds about right.
          I mean, it would be akin to a packet generator being able to create invalid injected packets for testing purposes?

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post

Testing/abusing things sounds about right.
            I mean, it would be akin to a packet generator being able to create invalid injected packets for testing purposes?
            Sure, but generally I imagine you would want even more control over the resulting binary in those cases. I would not want to rely on a tool which is normally meant to produce working binaries and which probably has not guaranteed that it will produce bit identical non-working binaries in future releases. But maybe combined with custom linker scripts (which I admit to knowing very little about beyond that they are a thing) that would work.

It just seems (to me) that for testing purposes you would want a tool purpose made for giving you full control over all details.

Comment

What's the story with Debian starting to use zstd in packages? That never happened it seems.

Comment

now that 2.40 is out the door, why is Fedora being so Lame an sticking with 2.39 for F38? even Ubuntu 23.04 will have it

Last edited by Anvil; 14 January 2023, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Gentoo already has it.

Comment

Originally posted by maffblaster View Post
                    Gentoo already has it.
                    Of course it does.

Comment

Working...
                    X