No announcement yet.

Linux Preparing To Disable Drivers For Microsoft's RNDIS Protocol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can confirm that a Galaxy S20 FE at least uses RNDIS for USB tethering.

Put it behind a switch to enable/disable or something, removing it completely is premature and short-sighted when even recent Samsung devices (which are far more popular than the Pixel lineup might I add) will be unable to tether as a result. WiFi hotspots aren't a catch-all solution either as the reason some of us use tethering at all is to give a PC temporary WiFi support without having to buy a WiFi card. (eg. Just yesterday the WiFi card in my Mums PC died, so the temporary solution is USB Tethering her phone which is connected to her WiFi)

Comment

Can confirm a one-year-old Android smartphone on Android 12 is still using RNDIS for tethering.

Code:
      [  190.716173] usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_ether
      [  190.720638] rndis_host 1-4:1.0 usb0: register 'rndis_host' at usb-0000:00:15.0-4, RNDIS device, a6:45:99:3c:aa:77
      [  190.720762] usbcore: registered new interface driver rndis_host
      ​

Comment

Please say this isn't already merged into 6.2/6.3 :/

Comment

It's also useful when needing to install WiFi drivers and standard Ethernet isn't available. Not sure if adapters use it but if they do then this would be a big problem to make in the mainline kernel ...I thought breaking userspace was bad but this? Which is why I want to know what's likely to be the affected kernel

Comment

"Why Advanced Format 4K-native are mostly only used in enterprise grade storage drives?"
            Windows 7. (Win8+ is required for AF-4Kn)
            "Why this program requires me to install .NET Framework 3.5? It's deprecating soon anyway!"
            Windows 7. (It's the bundled .NET Framework version with Windows 7)
            "Why every Android devices except Google Pixel 7 and later still use RNDIS for USB tethering?"
            Windows 7.​ (Win10_1903+ is required for CDC-NCM, custom driver can still be installed on older windows versions)
            Even if Windows 7's worldwide usage goes below 1% I'm still betting that many manufacturers still cares about Windows 7 compatibility, even if it breaks compatibility with newer, more usable OS kernels.

Comment

Just make it a toggle/switch with a disclaimer on it. If an unauthorized person has logged on and plugged things in to your computer then there's only so much you can patch anyways. Besides, you clearly have bigger problems to deal with than the Tethering debate at that point.
              No idea on why we need to create a problem by insisting on removing it outright 🤷🏽‍♂️

​​​​

Comment

Working...
              X