Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IPFS Supported In FFmpeg 5.1, IPFS Devs Envision Support In More Open-Source Projects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mazumoto
    replied
    So I quickly looked at their pages. But it didn't answer my questions.
    What about illegal material? Can everybody see what my own node is sharing? What if it is some copyrighted material? What if I shared some personal photos and I now want to unshare them?

Leave a comment:

• kgonzales
    replied
    Originally posted by archkde View Post
    Can't you shitcoin apologists not stop with your whataboutism and deliberate misreading of other people's arguments? I never wrote that regular currencies are not used for nefarious purposes. The point is that normal currencies are likely what you used to pay for the food you ate today, the computer you typed this comment on, and the internet connection you used to read my comment and send your reply, and yes they are also used in small part for nefarious activities. Whereas nobody wants to take cryptocurrency for things like these in most places of the world, and only the nefarious activities remain.
    Can’t you “shit fiat” apologists stop forgetting that the only reason that “shit fiat” is “normal” is because governments will literally imprison you if you don’t pay extortion money to them in the form of their depreciating currencies which they print endlessly?

These normal currencies as you call them are crap enforced by the threat of imprisonment. Whereas no one made you used a “shit coin” but people do force to use the “shit fiat”. More and more people are taking “shit coins” because the value of the “shit fiat” their governments shove down their throats is dropping like a rock and they want to preserve some value. Is protecting the value of your life savings a nefarious activity? Is trying to have some privacy a nefarious activity? I’m sorry but you are worse than any “shit coin apologist”.

Leave a comment:

• archkde
    replied
    Originally posted by kgonzales View Post

There I fixed it for you. If you knew anything about monetary and banking systems you would know that RIGHT NOW massive amounts of top ten fiat currencies issued by major governments do this every day in volumes that dwarf the entire volume of crypto traded daily. Oh yeah and printed fiat currencies are literally right now being used to fund warfare in Ukraine, Syria, Yemen and everywhere else on Earth… and have been for centuries.

But hey feel free to believe what you want to believe.
    Can't you shitcoin apologists not stop with your whataboutism and deliberate misreading of other people's arguments? I never wrote that regular currencies are not used for nefarious purposes. The point is that normal currencies are likely what you used to pay for the food you ate today, the computer you typed this comment on, and the internet connection you used to read my comment and send your reply, and yes they are also used in small part for nefarious activities. Whereas nobody wants to take cryptocurrency for things like these in most places of the world, and only the nefarious activities remain.

Leave a comment:

• kgonzales
    replied
    But LITERALLY EVERY FIAT CURRENCY ON EARTH in any form have many times shown to be most useful for speculation, fraud, money laundering, payment of criminal activities or circumvention of trade sanctions, no matter the original idea behind them. I will not support such schemes.
    There I fixed it for you. If you knew anything about monetary and banking systems you would know that RIGHT NOW massive amounts of top ten fiat currencies issued by major governments do this every day in volumes that dwarf the entire volume of crypto traded daily. Oh yeah and printed fiat currencies are literally right now being used to fund warfare in Ukraine, Syria, Yemen and everywhere else on Earth… and have been for centuries.

But hey feel free to believe what you want to believe.

Leave a comment:

• Mathias
    replied
    Originally posted by mb_q View Post
    Once filecoin price drops, due to some random event, under the costs of storage, people are going to start dropping pinned data, ripping filecoin out of its only value and trashing it even more.
    There is some mechanims against that. If you pin files on filecoin, you have to stake some of your own filecoin against this. So if you drop files, you not only loose the filecoin you would have gained, but you also loose your staked coins. IIRC the miners state how much they stake and the customer can choose which to accept. So important data can be stored on high-stake nodes, while less important data can be stored on lower staked nodes.

That doesn't completely erase the problem. Price can still fall below a threshold where it is financially reasonable to delete files. Also it doesn't prevent that miners stop accepting new files and not continue to host old files when the contract expires.

It also is fundamentally different to all (?) other coins in the sense that it has some intrinsic value. As long as the storage system works well, people will buy filecoin to use a storage. If many want filecoin, storage will be added to the network. The system will crash, when something better/cheaper comes along.

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by Alliancemd View Post
    markg85 It's funny to see you fight the disinformation in this forum. People here are misinformed and very opinionated, I've learned that you cannot convince these people otherwise, they will trash any new tech with claims not connected to reality in any way and will not accept anybody's expertise.
    I did not see anyone thrashing anything. Just people asking questions and making (more or less inspired) analogies.
    And I appreciate people posting clarifications, even when I don't understand much about the subject, it gives me a starting point for learning.

Leave a comment:

• arQon
    replied
    I worked on something very similar to this many many years ago, but with the end product being more along the lines of a CDN rather than something quite this general.

There's a lot of potential for e.g. better (i.e. saner and safer) backup products than the usual Dropbox/OneDrive/etc trash to come out of this area, and I'd like to see that happen some day.

For everyone knocking it for the whole "Web 3.0" Shitcoin Valley of the Damned aspect: you might as well suck it up, because it's basically impossible to actually raise funding for anything other than buzzword-laden Ponzi schemes right now. "Filecoin" may be a stupid name, but I bet it's the only reason this ever got off the ground at all.

The base protocol is a good start: it's just of fairly minimal value until solutions to real problems start getting built on top of it. For all that the MPAA can go f**k itself, one-click torrenting and playback of Avengers VII or whatever is not that.

For anyone who thinks that YouTube etc could use this, remember that YT isn't a content provider. While Netflix in particular could absolutely benefit from something like this (c.f. ISP greed re having Netflix pay to upgrade the ISP's backbones because they're oversold and mismanaged), nearly all content distributors these days see users as monetizable data fountains rather than customers, regardless of whether they pay for a service or not, and any extensions along those lines would probably kill this off pretty quickly at this stage. (Though you can bet it'll happen the second Google/etc decide it's worth capturing the protocol if/when it gets traction).

Leave a comment:

• microcode
    replied
    This article inspired me to read about IPFS a bit more. From a purely technical point of view, this seems like one of the few "decentralized web" projects I could get behind: no shitcoins, no Proof Of anything, just pure crypto hashes to make sure the content has not been tampered with. Is there a catch, given that it's mainly developed by a company, that surely has to have a business model to make money? (To be clear, I don't have a problem with companies making money with reasonable business models, but them not being clear about it makes me suspicious.)
    Not so much a "catch", but it can be very very slow to find a resource on the network, even if it is pinned in a few places.

Leave a comment:

• Alliancemd
    replied
    markg85 It's funny to see you fight the disinformation in this forum. People here are misinformed and very opinionated, I've learned that you cannot convince these people otherwise, they will trash any new tech with claims not connected to reality in any way and will not accept anybody's expertise.

Leave a comment:

• mb_q
    replied
    Originally posted by Mathias View Post

Filecoin basically is a paid pinning protocol. My hope is that the value of filecoin is not based on speculation, but on the value of storing data. If storing data is comparable to (or cheaper) then backblaze & others, then filecoin is not a shitcoin IMO. If the value skyrockets and it is not used for sane storage, then it should die like all the other shitcoins.
    The problem is that this system has a catastrophic failure mode due to a fact that the only value of filecoin is hosting pinned data, and the only gain from hosting pinned data for filecoin is filecoin. Once filecoin price drops, due to some random event, under the costs of storage, people are going to start dropping pinned data, ripping filecoin out of its only value and trashing it even more. A classic vicious cycle that won't stop until all cold data is deleted and filecoin reputation is lost for good.

There is already an airdrop service offering pinning 1TB "forever for free", https://web3.storage/ seemingly functioning because filecoin is overpriced just for being a cryptocurrency. Not really reassuring for stability.

IPFS is undoubtedly great for distribution (not counting the fact that you effectively publish your browser history by using it), but we sort-of already had the same thing with BitTorrent & magnet links.
    Last edited by mb_q; 10 August 2022, 09:44 PM. Reason: typo

Leave a comment:

Working...
X