LLVM Adds An HTTP Server For Debuginfod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

Useful for headless systems. I expect most package maintainers will just put it in a separate package like most large software suites.
    useful how? remote debugging is nothing new and is not even desirable. This reminds me of systemd. LLVM is a monolothic beast with useless features that are a security risk more than anything. Sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post

useful how? remote debugging is nothing new and is not even desirable. This reminds me of systemd. LLVM is a monolothic beast with useless features that are a security risk more than anything. Sigh.
      Spoken like someone that's never had to debug a live system via serial terminal in his or her life. No one else cares what you find useless. The people that put this in the upcoming release believe it's useful to them. If you don't want it, don't use it, but don't try to make the decisions for other people if you're not actively contributing to the project, and I'm absolutely sure you're not or you'd take it up with the LLVM project internal discussions instead.

As for security risks, not if it's used properly with care it's not. Unless you have something specific to this implementation to talk about you're blowing smoke.

Comment

Here is what you dont understand. I never said its useless to everyone. Its useless to be part of LLVM. If they want their niche corner they can have their niche repo with niche software. A flawed design should not be part of a monolothic repo. LLVM should worry more about the status of clang.

Comment

Given that there is already a language server (clangd) it's not hard to think how this can be extended/used in the future to setup debugging session.
          Remote debugging an existing system is still a pain with gdb and lldb, often not funny to scratch together the fitting debug info when there's no package manager like rpm.

Comment

Working...
          X