Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
    Thanks
    I read a bit about China struggle to get more advanced process nodes, and I also read about China already having a 28nm process that could work at 16nm, with Chinese technology, for what I read they are trying to advance it..

But now you are talking about 12nm, would it be ASML technology, or is the developments of in-house technology that is progressing at high speed.
    It would be interesting to know.

I know that there are already 3nm chips made in China with Chinese technology, but the problem is maintain same quality for mass scale production..
    Anyway if China Mainland is already at 12 nm( for mass scale production ) means they are advancing at crazy high speed!
    It's said to be fabbed at the TSMC Nanjing facility, thus subject to potential sanctions. They must have alternative 14nm/16nm designs ready though (or they must have targeted 14nm/16nm to begin with, and 12nm is just minor modification of that design, so the full potential of 12nm process is not realized).

And I believe the "3nm processes" are only academic results... Things like graphene ICs or IIRC sub-nanometer equivalent feature sizes are already possible, although only in labs, and decades away from mass adoption. And all major countries have achieved similar feat too.

EDIT: I forgot one simple point; the 3A5000 is the "tick" / die-shrink of 3A4000, so they could simply go back to 28nm if not even 14/16nm processes are available. Performance drops are extremely minor concerns when trade wars escalate to this level. (Yes the ISA has been changed, but that's only some minor decoder stage tweaking; as one can see from the GS132 sources (Loongson-1 series), probably some wire changes are all it takes to switch ISA.)
    Last edited by xen0n; 28 March 2022, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by xen0n View Post
      It's said to be fabbed at the TSMC Nanjing facility, thus subject to potential sanctions. They must have alternative 14nm/16nm designs ready though (or they must have targeted 14nm/16nm to begin with, and 12nm is just minor modification of that design, so the full potential of 12nm process is not realized).

And I believe the "3nm processes" are only academic results... Things like graphene ICs or IIRC sub-nanometer equivalent feature sizes are already possible, although only in labs, and decades away from mass adoption. And all major countries have achieved similar feat too.
      thanks,

Well, if they have 12nm process available from TSMC, they can go for it.
      If sanctions start to hit them, then can go to 28nm/16nm, which China mainland is already capable of.

I read that China mainland is already producing a lot on their own 28nm process, with Huawei using a lot 28nm( for some parts ), and started some time ago using( maybe to test.. ) China mainland 16nm, so I assume China mainland has already a backup plan.

Another thing that I read is that Huawei was planing to build a mega facility in Schenzhen( partnering with some companies from Taiwan), to build their 7/3nm there..
      It would be interesting to see the progress of it, as you know EU is also projecting to build facilities for it, the US also..

Its Like ..a Chips race..

Comment

Working...
      X