No announcement yet.

Linux Has A New Maintainer For Its CD-ROM Driver Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sadly this is the very nature of tech, once something is created there will always be edge cases where it is absolutely essential that it stay running. A few years ago I was in the control room of an old nuclear facility... it would terrify you to know what they were still using to run a nuke, but they were not allowed to upgrade it due to nuclear license restrictions (some things just dont make sense in this world).

As for the brad0 situation, it does not come across as sarcasm or good fun at all. I suppose it may have been targeted as an inside joke, but if your going to post such publicly we all need to remember that people "outside that joke" wont get it and may instead be shocked. Throw a <sarcasm></sarcasm> tag or something on it

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
      By the way, funny guys... My 2010 MBP? Fully functioning CD-ROM + CD-RW burner. So make your jokes, but I can still do that. You can't. (without an external drive). Hilarious.
      My Thinkpad T430 laughs in DVD-RW.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

My Thinkpad T430 laughs in DVD-RW.
        My AmigaOne 500 laughs along.

Comment

A few weeks ago I got an internal DVD/CD drive for my PC so I can finally backup my old movies and animes I had in storage. Internal because why not (and I'm not a fan of external USB devices). Holy crap, I forgot how loud these suckers are. My tower's 5 1/4" bay is now looking stylishly retro . Only problem is that resuming from sleep opens up the drive tray.

Comment

In all seriousness, thanks to the new maintainer and everyone else in the Linux ecosystem that performs the thankless tasks of working on unpretentious aspects of the system that are nevertheless still essential to some users.

Comment

Originally posted by sb56637 View Post
              In all seriousness, thanks to the new maintainer and everyone else in the Linux ecosystem that performs the thankless tasks of working on unpretentious aspects of the system that are nevertheless still essential to some users.
              Yep. Specially considering they get shit when they no longer have the time or desire to do so, from entitled people who won't do it either but feel someone else should do it for them.

Comment

Originally posted by sinepgib View Post

Yep. Specially considering they get shit when they no longer have the time or desire to do so, from entitled people who won't do it either but feel someone else should do it for them.
                So far people have been very positive and constructive :-)

Comment

Originally posted by PhilPotter View Post

So far people have been very positive and constructive :-)
                  So far the new maintainer didn't decide he was tired tho. I mean, there are several threads this week with people complaining because someone decided to drop things they didn't even use, rather than stepping up like he did.
                  But let's hope it stays that way then!

Comment

Originally posted by sinepgib View Post

So far the new maintainer didn't decide he was tired tho. I mean, there are several threads this week with people complaining because someone decided to drop things they didn't even use, rather than stepping up like he did.
                    But let's hope it stays that way then!
                    I am the new maintainer - I'm very tired lol, but not because of kernel work, general life has that effect

Comment

Originally posted by PhilPotter View Post

I am the new maintainer - I'm very tired lol, but not because of kernel work, general life has that effect
                      Cool! Thanks for taking the role! Fully agree on the effects of life lol

Comment

Working...
                      X