Grep 3.7 Released To Fix "Extreme Performance Degradation"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by linner View Post
    Because Rust is changing the world with better software!

/s
    Rust is the new Java.

Comment

Originally posted by brad0 View Post

Rust is the new Java.
      And way worse than Java.
      At least in Java/C++ there is try catch, which allows you to catch errors with little effort. Java even has the benefit of not requiring manual memory management, but then talk about verbosity and high memory usage with garbage collector....
      But Rust? It's a mess of match Ok/Err, asterisks, ampersands, muts... I remember trying Rust out once, and it made my head explode.
      It feels as if JavaScript programmers (JavaScript being the worst thing ever already) teamed up with C ones and attempted to create a new language.
      Rust's popularity comes 95% from its fan base who praise the language like a deity and want everything rewritten in Rust...

On the corner, Haxe

Comment

I think I just grepped the first time for "grep" in 25 years of linux usage

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          Rust's popularity comes 95% from its fan base who praise the language like a deity and want everything rewritten in Rust...
          That is exactly what went on with Java for many many years.

Comment

Originally posted by linner View Post

Because Rust is changing the world with better software!

/s
            Joke's on you, because almost nothing in there is memory or thread management related. And that's what Rust was born to do.

Comment

Rust is the new Java.
              I remember when it was talked about "data-oriented languages", "object-oriented languages", etc. and then the term "money-oriented language" appeared (with Java).

Comment

I wonder when "grep -r" will actually work...

re ripgrep (which I first heard of yesterday, funnily enough), according to the author all of its speed win over grep comes form the fact that Rust has a built-in regex routine with per-cpu optimizations. So, it's probably a bit faster than a "typical" Linux box, and a bit slower than Clear. Nothing at all to do with "even a newbie can write MT code in Rust!" (as you'd expect, given that outside of bugs like this one you should be spending nearly all your time in iowait (though you definitely COULD get a small benefit from threading it, depending on how poor the async completion is etc).

Comment

Rust is the new Java.
                  Bitch, please: Rust is the new Go, which was the new Ruby, which was the new Java, which was the new etc etc - and that's just the last 15 years or so!

tildearrow Rust doesn't have exception handling? WTF?! Is it seriously using something braindead like compound return types (struct result { bool valid; variant_t value; }; etc, or just have a "failure/invalid" type in the variant), or what? I keep to meaning to mess around with Rust, but something that stupid that requires if()s on every call would turn me off it almost immediately.
                  Oh well - I guess I'll find out once I have enough free time to actually do it...

Comment

Originally posted by arQon View Post

Bitch, please: Rust is the new Go, which was the new Ruby, which was the new Java, which was the new etc etc - and that's just the last 15 years or so!

tildearrow Rust doesn't have exception handling? WTF?! Is it seriously using something braindead like compound return types (struct result { bool valid; variant_t value; }; etc, or just have a "failure/invalid" type in the variant), or what? I keep to meaning to mess around with Rust, but something that stupid that requires if()s on every call would turn me off it almost immediately.
                    Oh well - I guess I'll find out once I have enough free time to actually do it...
                    Rust uses a different scheme. Every operation returns a Result which may be either Ok (which may contain a value!) or Err (which may contain a value as well).
                    You would have to use either a match block or ? operator.

Comment

Rust is the new Java.
                      s/Java/nodejs/, but you were on the right track

Comment

Working...
                      X