Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt 6.2 Beta Released As The First Qt6 LTS Release Moves Closer

Phoronix: Qt 6.2 Beta Released As The First Qt6 LTS Release Moves Closer

The Qt Company today issued the first of several expected betas for the upcoming Qt 6.2 toolkit release that will also be their first Qt 6 long-term support version...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think what would be more interesting than Qt itself, would be if we had a list of Qt apps ready to move to Qt6 and an estimated ETA.
    For example, my favorite file browser, Krusader, was left on Qt4 for years before being migrated. I wonder now if it will move to Qt6 at all.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
      I think what would be more interesting than Qt itself, would be if we had a list of Qt apps ready to move to Qt6 and an estimated ETA.
      For example, my favorite file browser, Krusader, was left on Qt4 for years before being migrated. I wonder now if it will move to Qt6 at all.
      It's all about finding someone to do the porting, there's no paid or even volunteer developers working on most of these smaller KDE projects. The last release for Krusader was in 2019 according to KDE: https://apps.kde.org/krusader/

Comment

Good questioning, Krusader's latest changes can be seen. There's no mention to Qt 6 there. "Krusader needs your help!" is written.

Comment

Realistically, only the project has a clue about their plans, so you likely have to open issues one by one with projects that interest you, and ask about schedules. For many larger projects with large(r) teams they likely have a background Qt6 port in progress. For smaller projects (with small(er) teams), I would expect they have no current plans for Qt6 porting, as it is an unresourced dream (and if you want a Qt6 port, I am sure they will accept your efforts).

For many Qt5 apps, moving to Qt6 is going to be reasonably easy IFF they have moved to a later Qt5 and started taking advantage of some of the newer APIs that Qt5 offers that are Qt6 APIs (and going the other way, there is a qt6-qt5compat library for some of the more well known removals, providing the Qt5 compatible APIs on top of the new Qt6 APIs). Of course, many is not all, and in any case, until Qt6 is widely available, I would not be surprised that many projects will be reluctant to abandon Qt5 completely, and ifdef-ery will likely be the norm to support both Qt5 and Qt6.
          Last edited by CommunityMember; 07 July 2021, 03:27 AM.

Comment

think you'll find it'll take awhile to port stuff to QT6, just look at Gnome, still not everything is ported to GTK4, there's still stuff that pull in GTK2, some lazy projects refuse to port there stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post

think you'll find it'll take awhile to port stuff to QT6, just look at Gnome, still not everything is ported to GTK4, there's still stuff that pull in GTK2, some lazy projects refuse to port there stuff
              Yes, that was the point of my first post. Some projects are lacking in manpower, some are not worked on anymore, but others are doing just fine and probably have some sort of a roadmap. It would be nice to know where everybody (well, at least the more prominent projects) stands.

Comment

Originally posted by Raploz View Post

It's all about finding someone to do the porting, there's no paid or even volunteer developers working on most of these smaller KDE projects. The last release for Krusader was in 2019 according to KDE: https://apps.kde.org/krusader/
                I wanted to add that, when wondering if a project receives improvements, it's very useful to see its "log of commits". For example, in the Krusader case that you were talking about: https://invent.kde.org/utilities/kru...commits/master

Comment

Originally posted by Raploz View Post

Last release is irrelevant as commits are frequent on Krusader's git repo. Qt 6 support in Krusader will depend on development, i.e. commits, not releases.
                  Last edited by Vistaus; 07 July 2021, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                    Last release is irrelevant as commits are frequent on Krusader's git repo. Qt 6 support in Krusader will depend on development, i.e. commits, not releases.
                    That is true, but Krusader is pretty much done and only needs maintenance. Most projects aren't in the same boat.

Comment

Working...
                    X