Google Posts Initial Code For Lyra Speech Codec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bemerk View Post
    How well does it work with female voices? Studies show that they are currently discrimated against in Web conferencing because high frequencies are often cut out in the transmission and females therefore have a lower chance to express their emotions properly
    I have had so many girls trigger a number tone on non-voip i have to wonder if all the developers were chain smokers or married to one.

One day we will have good TTS and STT and profile detection for super low bitrates.

Comment

How well does it work with female voices? Studies show that they are currently discrimated against in Web conferencing because high frequencies are often cut out in the transmission and females therefore have a lower chance to express their emotions properly
      It's like the problems with early color film being not sensitive enough to photograph black people in ordinary lighting conditions; physics is just working against you.

Comment

female voices = high frequencies
        The highest frequencies in speech are not the voices, but the unvoiced parts of consonants. That's why consonants are impossible to distinguish over telephone no matter who is talking.

If female voices are more often cut out by conferencing applications, depending on what exactly “cut out” means, I would hesitate to suspect the coding format.
        Last edited by andreano; 08 April 2021, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mathias View Post

At these tiny bitrates, OPUS is not very suited for speech. The question is, is there a reason to go that low since UDP/TCP overhead is on the same level as the lyra bitstream...
          it works great down to 6 KB/s, any lower is just nonsense

Comment

Yeah I've noticed some headset mics don't record all the way to 20,000 Hz so people's voices might sound very different.

Comment

Working...
            X