Qt 5.15.3 LTS Released With 200+ Bug Fixes, But Only For Commercial Customers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mykolak View Post

Where have you got that idea? Qt is perfectly fine C++. It's absolutely valid C++. So called "Qt keywords" are just macros to make life easier.
    https://woboq.com/blog/moc-myths.html
    As a C++ Programmer with 20 years ofexperience, I gave up argueing with the (mostly younger) pure C++ folks that consider every solution that is not technical 'leet' bad. if they want to solve a problem by writing complex templates that is hard to maintain by others, they can do it on their projects.

The code generator moc is very simple but very powerful. when used properly, it creates very clean and understandable code. (Converting enums to strings for example).

Since Qt5 signal slots connections can be done on compile time, so that error source with typos in the connect are gone.

Comment

• The real fuckup here is the state of Qt6. It is totally fine not to have LTS for open source projects if Qt6 was in a state to port to.

If fixes are required for Qt5 which do impact KDE or other Qt software they will be backported from Qt6 and shipped by the distros for now. This was done in the past, for all kind of software and will likely be the case here too. The paywall for release notes sucks, it would make critical backports easier.

I really do not like them to stop the Qt5 maintenance releases not having a viable path to Qt6. That pisses me off, especially since I do not expect Qt6 to be close to complete enough till Qt6.2.
      I did not even use KDE a few years, but the damn input lags in gnome actually freezing a second if you used xkeymaps for a mouse input binding for years frustrated me enough to switch back to KDE in 2020. Mainly an issue playing MMOs with razor naga or corsair scimitar which require software bindings, the M509 where the firmware does this does not suffer this issue.

Comment

• Originally posted by arokh View Post
        Phoronix, the place where completely incompetent people gathers to argue about subjects they have zero knowledge about and without reading the damn article or even trying to understand what it's about. What a complete waste of time the comment section is these days.
        At least the ones you name incompetent are able to realize that even Autodesk, SideFX and Adobe using a non commercial Qt version for their products.

I am creating Qt applications on Linux, Windows, OSX and Android for more than five years. I think I have a really good understanding of what Qt is about.

What I am asking myself in the moment is how an indie should chip in when the biggest software companies on this planet never do?!

Comment

• I've been writing Qt Applications since 2006, even when I ran Gnome or Budgie as desktops, so I guess I do have some insight.

But as I said, usually we would see Qt5 point releases until Qt6 is released (which we did), but we would expect Qt6 to have feature parity with Qt5, which it does not.

I'd have liked them to continue the point releases until they have feature parity and then go into LTS mode, which is fine if it's not available open source.

And who really do use Qt as LTS are things like automotive, ATM terminals or similar devices which most likely are shipped in a state and the sofware does not change and they only provide security patches and do not want to deal with possible regressions of new versions, especially if you possibly have to call them in or have to put workforce to remedy a regression if something vital is hit by a regression.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jumbotron
            Looks like Canonical is giving up on both QT and GTK. They are officially making Google's Flutter their default GUI toolkit for Ubuntu apps both desktop and mobile
            It’s a wise choice from a business perspective. I despise Google and think Dart is a terrible language, but on the other hand, they get a free toolkit that is modern, highly performant, designed to run on a variety of platforms, and does not enforce any particular UI design.

Canonical tried to go with React Native, which was a brilliant choice at the time, for the potential of writing applications quickly that could work on mobile as well as the desktop, but they ran into the problem that React Native uses a platform’s native widgets, and Facebook obviously could care less about GTK, so Canonical would need to maintain a fork of React Native with support for GTK themselves.

The interesting thing about Flutter is that there are no native widgets really. It’s more of a canvas where you can draw what you like. So you can design your own widgets or mimic existing ones. That’s less work and more freedom for Canonical to do what they like.

It’s a no brainer right now. And Flutter is relatively new so Google is not going to get bored of it for a while.

I know they are writing their new installer with it. It should be interesting what design they come up with.
            Last edited by cynical; 06 March 2021, 05:49 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by cynical View Post

And Flutter is relatively new so Google is not going to get bored of it for a while.
              In my book google is extremely unreliable with their projects (see stadia, gwt or that google projects graveyard somewhere on the web). I'd try to avoid basing any of my work on anything from google, especially if it's something long-term.

Comment

• Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

I am not sure, but KRunner takes so long to start on the first go.
                It's an HDD. Are you on SSD?
                the first time after boot it takes me a second in a 12 year old intel cpu, I'm on an HDD. I really don't think it's normal for it to take 10 seconds.

Comment

• Originally posted by mazumoto
                  In my book google is extremely unreliable with their projects (see stadia, gwt or that google projects graveyard somewhere on the web). I'd try to avoid basing any of my work on anything from google, especially if it's something long-term.
                  Well and look at the Chromium sync issue. It wasn’t a problem for years and now they just decide to cripple a browser feature randomly. I would never base anything important on a Google product either. They simply do not care about maintaining things long term.

From what I understand, they love hiring young people fresh out of school, and their culture is such that you must make your mark by starting a new successful project. It’s no surprise to me that supporting a product is not interesting to them.

Still, flutter will probably be pretty good for a few years before it becomes abandonware. I thought they were on the verge of trashing Dart until Flutter came out, given that their attempt to replace JavaScript on the web was a total failure. (and thank God for that. Imagine if the entire web experience was controlled by such a company?)

Comment

• Originally posted by verude View Post

the first time after boot it takes me a second in a 12 year old intel cpu, I'm on an HDD. I really don't think it's normal for it to take 10 seconds.
                    It shouldn't take 1 second either. It should be instant.

Comment

• Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

It shouldn't take 1 second either. It should be instant.
                      He said he's using a 12 year old Intel CPU and an HDD

Comment

Working...
                      X