Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LLVM Lands Support For OpenMP Offloading To AMD Radeon GPUs

Phoronix: LLVM Lands Support For OpenMP Offloading To AMD Radeon GPUs

While the AMDGPU back-end has been part of mainline LLVM for years, not until now has it supported an OpenMP toolchain for offloading to Radeon GPUs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Phoronix Test Suite still doesn't have OpenMP offloading tests.

Comment

As I am not a programmer, that might be a naive question: But is the compiler capable of automatically offloading suitable code to this OpenMP target or are pragmas in the code still needed? I suppose it is not that easy to let the compiler handle all the optimization and offloading work without touching a single line of code.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
        As I am not a programmer, that might be a naive question: But is the compiler capable of automatically offloading suitable code to this OpenMP target or are pragmas in the code still needed? I suppose it is not that easy to let the compiler handle all the optimization and offloading work without touching a single line of code.
        The #pragma are still needed. But instead of running multi-threaded on your CPU, your GPU can now be used as well (via LLVM). This is already possible via GCC for some time.

Comment

AMD ROCm™ Software - GitHub Home. Contribute to ROCm/ROCm development by creating an account on GitHub.

AOMP is already deprecated in favore of more LLVM upstream... I think...

Comment

Hard to see this as any thing other than good news. Sill got my fingers crossed that Fedora gets their AMD openCL act together for 34.

Comment

Working...
            X