Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNU Network Utilities Sees First Major Release In 9 Years (inetutils 2.0)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNU Network Utilities Sees First Major Release In 9 Years (inetutils 2.0)

Phoronix: GNU Network Utilities Sees First Major Release In 9 Years (inetutils 2.0)

The GNU Network Utilities (inetutils) has seen its first major release in nine years or even the first release at all in six years since the prior point release. With GNU inetutils 2.0 are several updates to common programs like ping and ifconfig...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

GNU mailing list link has an extraneous " character at the end.

Correct link is: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/i.../msg00001.html

Comment

Exciting news! Looking forward to an update to Hurd next!

Comment

Too bad ifconfig is deprecated/replaced by many distros. For the life of me I cannot get comfy with ip.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
          Too bad ifconfig is deprecated/replaced by many distros. For the life of me I cannot get comfy with ip.
          Yeah, I think the damage is already done. Old Unix hands have a muscle memory/heavily etched habit of typing "ifconfig" after many years I still have it. But I don't think the migration to other alternatives is going to be stemmed at this point. *BSD won't care. Linux distros have already migrated for the most part, and they won't likely move back.

Comment

It's funny there's a large number of users who don't know this. Many tutorials suggest using ifconfig.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

It's funny there's a large number of users who don't know this. Many tutorials suggest using ifconfig.
              I see that all of the time, too.

GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

Old habbits die hard, people keep using ifconfig because that is what they have used all the time. Also, ftp and telnet ? Somebody call the 90s, we have some great news.

Comment

Too bad ifconfig is deprecated/replaced by many distros.
                  I've seen that as well. But why exactly? Did GNU deprecate it? If not, then there's no reason for distros to deprecate it as it's still supported.

Comment

Old tools get left behind.

I jumped to ip and iw when Fedora first introduced it and never looked back. We need more human-readable commands like what Microsoft has done with Powershell.

Comment

Working...
                    X