Microsoft Makes The Extensible Storage Engine Open-Source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jacob View Post

There are so many alternatives no one USES.
    Having the one that actually matters in the real world becoming open source is surely a good thing.
    Lol, you think Microsoft's solution is the only good one, and the only one that's used? There are many good ones out there, and many in use, good or not.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Microsoft's technique to open-source:

- Open something nobody really wants to see anymore (DOS, ESE)
      - Open something but make sure it is tied to Windows or something (.NET Core)
      - Use open-source and tie it to Windows with a closed knot (WSL and libd3d12.so)
      Well, it's all just PR to show "Look, we love open source! We don't suppress the competition at all!" and then they'll just not mandate that SecureBoot can be disabled and that you can add your own custom keys.

Call me crazy, but I don't think an OS vendor should be allowed to control secure boot mechanisms that can and have locked out competitors. This is anti-thecal to the idea of free markets and capitalism. Funnily enough, all of the countries that talk about how much they love freedom and morals are doing nothing about it.

I don't want some spyware created and controlled mostly by white people to be the only thing I can use.
      Last edited by Guest; 02 February 2021, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by f0rmat View Post
        And MS Office is the reason why I cannot go 100% linux for my personal use. When I travel or work from home, I can use my personal computer, but I must do my office stuff in MS Office. I have no choice if I want a paycheck.
        Sounds like you haven't tried SoftMaker Office 2021. Uses the MSFT formats natively so no need for import/export. With LibreOffice, the MSFT file format compatibility is spotty at best, but with SoftMaker, I haven't found a business document yet that it doesn't handle perfectly. At only $59 it's a true bargain, and allows for seamless interaction with MS Office users.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
          I don't want some spyware created and controlled mostly by white people to be the only thing I can use.
          LMAO, how about some african spyware instead? I know a Nigerian prince who can set you up.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
            Sounds like you haven't tried SoftMaker Office 2021. Uses the MSFT formats natively so no need for import/export. With LibreOffice, the MSFT file format compatibility is spotty at best, but with SoftMaker, I haven't found a business document yet that it doesn't handle perfectly. At only $59 it's a true bargain, and allows for seamless interaction with MS Office users.
            I have tried that before...my main issue is PowerPoint compatibility. I do instruction and presentations that require some sophisticated PowerPoint (and I am not talking about transitions and all of that other eye candy) that involve maps, icon creation, and fonts that are not always true type fonts. I cannot spend a week developing a product for a customer only to not have it render correctly or require the customer to install plug-ins that make it render correctly (all of my customers are MS Office users). Word and Excel I can work around with LibreOffice- for the most part. But I also need 100% compatibility with Outlook - to include the Calendar - especially the Calendar.

However, I will relook SoftMaker Office. If it is as compatible as you say and works for me (at the MS Office 2016 level minimum), I will definitely consider it.
            GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

I have tried that before...my main issue is PowerPoint compatibility. I do instruction and presentations that require some sophisticated PowerPoint (and I am not talking about transitions and all of that other eye candy) that involve maps, icon creation, and fonts that are not always true type fonts. I cannot spend a week developing a product for a customer only to not have it render correctly or require the customer to install plug-ins that make it render correctly (all of my customers are MS Office users). Word and Excel I can work around with LibreOffice- for the most part. But I also need 100% compatibility with Outlook - to include the Calendar - especially the Calendar.

However, I will relook SoftMaker Office. If it is as compatible as you say and works for me (at the MS Office 2016 level minimum), I will definitely consider it.
              Got it, yes that is understandable. My work is more with Word documents, but involves some complicated layouts and formatting that LibreOffice didn't handle well. Think formal business proposals with lots of embedded content. SoftMaker 2021 worked perfectly for me on the same files.

Comment

Could this be of use to the ReactOS project? I've searched the ReactOS Jira site for "ESE" and "extensible storage", but nothing came up.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                  My challenge is actually with revisions in reasonably complex documents that have figurs with captions and math sections with equations. I did not try SoftMaker but Libreoffice, WPS and Onlyoffice tend to modify formatting somewhat. As revisions can get back and forward many times, this can really mess up formatting, at times beyond repair.

Comment

And MS Office is the reason why I cannot go 100% linux for my personal use. When I travel or work from home, I can use my personal computer, but I must do my office stuff in MS Office. I have no choice if I want a paycheck.
                    Same here. I'm on 100% linux but need a Win10 virtual machine mainly for office (that pays the bills). I run it on virt-manager (qemu/kvm) and that works pretty well with the the spice guest tools. Minor annoyances apply however [see rant]

[start rant]
                    The only annoyance is folder sharing. Spice folder sharing (using webdav) actually works well once the Windows webdav settings are adjusted.
                    However, virt-manager seems to to be set to not support spice folder sharing and virt-viewer is needed.. why? WHY?
                    Problem of virt-viewer is that it needs spice exposed on a port (no GPU acceleration but can be used by regular user) vs local (GPU acceleration but needs admin rights).
                    If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be really glad!

Exposing folders over the (local) network is also not particular practical because high-performance (virtio) ethernet prevents direct host-guest communication (and needs a separate virtual network).
                    [end rant]

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Microsoft's technique to open-source:

- Open something nobody really wants to see anymore (DOS, ESE)
                      - Open something but make sure it is tied to Windows or something (.NET Core)
                      - Use open-source and tie it to Windows with a closed knot (WSL and libd3d12.so)
                      you are absolutly right... it looks like microsoft is only in the opensource game to perform: Embrace, extend and extinguish

they would only be real opensource company if they opensource Microsoft office and windows7+
                      Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Working...
                      X