Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft Releases .NET 5.0 With Many Performance Improvements, Continued Linux Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Releases .NET 5.0 With Many Performance Improvements, Continued Linux Work

Phoronix: Microsoft Releases .NET 5.0 With Many Performance Improvements, Continued Linux Work

Microsoft on Tuesday released .NET 5.0 as their latest work on unifying their .NET stack and continuing along with support for Linux and other non-Windows platforms...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Microsoft seems to be so Linux friendly. Really? They seem only in trying to be usable on the Cloud and Server areas, dominated by Linux. Microsoft but not Linux, have given up on trying to move into Android territory: Mobiles & handheld units. Linux has IoT all to itself now; no Android, no Microsoft, no Apple.
    The only area where Linux is the Loser, Big Time, is in Desktop computing, either Desktop hardware, or powerful notebook hardware. Chromebooks & Android are slowly removing previous ownership by both Microsoft & Apple.
    In the PC area dominated by Windows, we need Windows to handle EXT4 partitions. Microsoft should be able to do this easily. The other alternative is that when Linux "grows up", it might not just leave BTRFS development to only Fedora enthusiasts. BTRFS is the closest Linux can get to Microsoft's NTFS. Open source NTFS seems so bad that we use the closed source NTFS instead.
    When both X-display and EXT4 are replaced with a mature Wayland, BTRFS, and either Flatpak or Snap, then Linux on the desktop might be allowed to be more than a two per cent loser.

Comment

Originally posted by gregzeng View Post
      Microsoft seems to be so Linux friendly. Really? They seem only in trying to be usable on the Cloud and Server areas, dominated by Linux. Microsoft but not Linux, have given up on trying to move into Android territory: Mobiles & handheld units. Linux has IoT all to itself now; no Android, no Microsoft, no Apple.
      The only area where Linux is the Loser, Big Time, is in Desktop computing, either Desktop hardware, or powerful notebook hardware. Chromebooks & Android are slowly removing previous ownership by both Microsoft & Apple.
      In the PC area dominated by Windows, we need Windows to handle EXT4 partitions. Microsoft should be able to do this easily. The other alternative is that when Linux "grows up", it might not just leave BTRFS development to only Fedora enthusiasts. BTRFS is the closest Linux can get to Microsoft's NTFS. Open source NTFS seems so bad that we use the closed source NTFS instead.
      When both X-display and EXT4 are replaced with a mature Wayland, BTRFS, and either Flatpak or Snap, then Linux on the desktop might be allowed to be more than a two per cent loser.
      MS is where the profit is... Now Linux can bring more profit than Windows, with less effort, so they will jump to this ship...

Comment

If Microsoft were to totally dump work on .Net and C# tomorrow, I'd still love it and figure I'd continue to prefer it to Java. I mostly write code on Linux anyway--my personal machine doesn't even have a Windows partition. You don't have to like Microsoft for this headline to be good news, and I don't think you need to talk about the things they do poorly or don't trust in an article about a language release. .Net 5 is pretty pleasurable to write in, and quite accessible from Linux. Even in a professional environment I've deployed C# to Linux servers post-.Net Core. If I have a choice, I am enjoying Go much more right now, but that doesn't make C# worse. It's a great language--and great in different places than Go or Typescript or Python, etc.

Comment

Same, its quite pleasant experience to write F# in .net core, now .net 5.0 and we deploy to linux based docker containers

Comment

Originally posted by swoorup View Post
            Same, its quite pleasant experience to write F# in .net core, now .net 5.0 and we deploy to linux based docker containers
            Indeed. The Ionide F# plugin for VSCode is magic.

Also dotnet's systemd integration support makes it very easy to write linux system services.

Comment

Working...
            X