Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt 6.0 Beta 4 Released

Phoronix: Qt 6.0 Beta 4 Released

For those on the Qt 5.12 LTS series the Qt 5.12.10 point release is out today with 30 new bug fixes. But for those looking ahead to Qt 6 also out today is Qt 6.0 Beta 4...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think the release date for Qt 6 is not all that important. Since some features were taken out, to be re-added later, I believe having a timeline depicting when we should expect everything back is more important.
    Because I suspect not many developers will be interested in Qt 6 with missing features and that translates in reduced feedback (for beta builds and whatever).

I would also be curious whether Qt 6 helps or hinders KDE's work towards Wayland support. ( ngraham )
    Last edited by bug77; 10 November 2020, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
      Because I suspect not many developers will be interested in Qt 6 with missing features and that translates in reduced feedback (for beta builds and whatever).
      Qt Multimedia, sure... but desktop application developers will find Qt Bluetooth and Qt Virtual Keyboard pretty niche.

Comment

I think the release date for Qt 6 is not all that important. Since some features were taken out, to be re-added later, I believe having a timeline depicting when we should expect everything back is more important.

I would also be curious whether Qt 6 helps or hinders KDE's work towards Wayland support.
        Yeah 6.2 next year will be more significant.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Qt Multimedia, sure... but desktop application developers will find Qt Bluetooth and Qt Virtual Keyboard pretty niche.
          Well, yes. Devs weren't dumb to rip out core functionality. And frankly I don't even know how much is missing. But I knows devs are a whiny bunch

Comment

Since some features were taken out, to be re-added later, I believe having a timeline depicting when we should expect everything back is more important.
            Like the Windows 7 support? All for the glory of Win 10 aka the spyware machine?

Comment

I'm in no rush to upgrade and still pissed off their decision to limit LTS releases to commercial users only.
              I really hope it backfires spectacularly. Something like nobody touching 6.0 until 6.2, people staying on 5.15 and backporting fixes, or staying on 5.12, which by the way will receive other 2 bug fixing releases.
              Of course it depends on the individual needs and use cases.

Bitterness aside, I can't wait to try a stable version!!

Comment

Well, yes. Devs weren't dumb to rip out core functionality. And frankly I don't even know how much is missing. But I knows devs are a whiny bunch
                Qt Multimedia may provide abstractions around things like the phone's camera, but it also contains the widgetry that provides platform abstractions for DirectShow, Media Foundation, AV Foundation, GStreamer, etc. so you can just plop an audio or video player component into your application and let the platform's codecs do the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by SledgeHammer_999 View Post

Like the Windows 7 support? All for the glory of Win 10 aka the spyware machine?
                  You could use Linux instead. No reason to stay on an already discontinued platform from a company you dont trust.

Comment

While Qt had adopted a somewhat acceptable licensing scheme under Nokia rule, it all went downhill from the moment on when MS mole Stephen Elop was infiltrated as Nokia CEO and sold off Qt to Digia, which in turn spun it off as QTCOM on Nasdaq Helsinki. Unlike Nokia's plans which were to maximize the Qt developer community size for Qt to thrive as a strategic cross-platform API, that objective obviously was thrown out of the window by Digia and QTCOM, whose obvious plan (judging by their actions) is to fleece their remaining customer base to the maximum extent for as long as it still works.

After a series of steps towards an ever worse licensing policy, the last such step to date was the announcement that commercial licenses are switching to a subscription-only model. Unsurprisingly, faced with such totally unacceptable BS, ever more and more customers are jumping ship and choosing other alternatives. It's really a pity to watch this going down. I kinda liked Qt, that is, when it was in Nokia's hands pre-Elop. But now, under QTCOM's direction, it's just a sad and sore shit show that no developer or business decision maker in their right mind would build the future of their software on.
                    Last edited by 3diStan; 13 November 2020, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X