Checkpoint/Restore Of Unprivileged Processes Sent In For Linux 5.9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post
    Checkpoint/restart was a feature in the mid-1960's IBM Mainframe area that could be especially valuable for long running processes to handle either system failures or the need to start higher priority activity. Everything that is old is all new again.
    To be fair, that feature is still a thing for mainframe-like systems and any other computer device that cares about high reliability.

This just means Linux is gearing up to get into the "big boy" playground.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      To be fair, that feature is still a thing for mainframe-like systems and any other computer device that cares about high reliability.

This just means Linux is gearing up to get into the "big boy" playground.
      Oh, it's already there from a long time and it's running on huge systems like 896 cores, 1792 threads and 24,576 GB in a single image, scale-up configuration:

https://www.sap.com/dmc/exp/2018-ben...1-3f6185216861

There's support for 4096 CPUs in a single kernel image for a reason. This is not gearing up, but going for domination.
      Last edited by Volta; 04 August 2020, 05:59 PM.

Comment

because you waste your time reinventing the wheel when you can have a plugin keep the situation under control automatically.
        Btw, it is opensource https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock
        because a plugin only protects me in the browser, but not other apps or my other devices (yes, I am talking about Windows 10 and Android, which phone home).

I lost anyway, you want me to not block Google entirely. I just hate how freaking intrusive they are.
        Last edited by tildearrow; 04 August 2020, 06:36 PM.

Comment

That's very neat. This should allow saving an application's current state so you can shut down and then power up again and find the same applications in the same state after you login, so the "save session on shutdown" functionality of DEs can actually work with all applications and not just the simpler ones.
          Originally posted by asoltesz View Post
          I hope desktop environments start using this in some form.
          Unfortunately this project is pretty limited ATM, because it's not able to save/restore any application that happens to use graphics. Making that work as I understand would require quite complicated work on the graphics drivers, so I doubt it ever gonna change.
          Last edited by Hi-Angel; 04 August 2020, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by flower View Post
            X11/Wayland support would be nice. Good job
            After this then I would be done with losing my job after a random card shutdown.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

because a plugin only protects me in the browser, but not other apps or my other devices (yes, I am talking about Windows 10 and Android, which phone home).

I lost anyway, you want me to not block Google entirely. I just hate how freaking intrusive they are.
              I'm guessing you're mad at not having privacy, or trying to protect some project or whatnot that someone might steal thru Google?

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

I'm guessing you're mad at not having privacy, or trying to protect some project or whatnot that someone might steal thru Google?
                Well. not sure if it his reason but in latin america and poor side of asia is quite common for organized crime to buy/steal user data (specially facebook/instagram/gmail) to do all kind of bad stuff from locating people from instagram posts for kidnaps all the way to use your mail accounts to run scams and blackmail, etc.

note that some researchers on the cyber crime divisions at those countries believe this groups use "Clean" shell companies to buy all that metadata harvesting directly from Google, Facebook, Etc.

So, metadata harvesting may seem trivial but it can be really dangerous in the right hands

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

Google, Facebook are thieves themselves collaborating with anti privacy groups.

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post

Well. not sure if it his reason but in latin america and poor side of asia is quite common for organized crime to buy/steal user data (specially facebook/instagram/gmail) to do all kind of bad stuff from locating people from instagram posts for kidnaps all the way to use your mail accounts to run scams and blackmail, etc.

note that some researchers on the cyber crime divisions at those countries believe this groups use "Clean" shell companies to buy all that metadata harvesting directly from Google, Facebook, Etc.

So, metadata harvesting may seem trivial but it can be really dangerous in the right hands
                    Precisely this.
                    I live in South America. It is pretty risky around here.

I don't want to deviate the topic any further though so I am stopping here.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                      For websites you want to visit you can't use DNS blocking in the router, so you either use a browser plugin that you can disable on command or you run "ass naked".

That said, PiHole or OpenWrt's adblock application/plugin also automate the DNS blocking for the whole local network by using the same blacklists used by browser plugins.
                      Last edited by starshipeleven; 05 August 2020, 07:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X