Git 2.28 Now Shipping With Feature For Configurable Default/Main Branch Name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lucrus View Post

if only that were the real motivation behind this work...
    Originally posted by cen1 View Post
    No matter how you look at it this is complete and utter nonsense. The rest of the world does not need to deal with all this USA inspired shitstorm.
    Besides the point that "main" is a better term without a doubt. So the motivation or whatever "bullshit" reasons are brought up to be "against" this is just bullshit as well. Even the reason it was "master" in the first place was "I ported over from this software, which used master/slave, so I just do the same".

It was never a good fit in the first place and defaulting to something better _is_ a good idea.

Comment

There is literally nothing wrong with the word "Master".
      I reject this ideology that words can forcefully have their meanings redefined to only one single negative meaning by some relatively small group of people, thus retconning all past usage of the word without any context. What is worse is anyone who chooses to continue to innocently use this word will be deemed a racist by these same people.

Comment

Originally posted by karolherbst View Post
        Besides the point that "main" is a better term without a doubt.
        Debatable. It all means the same thing. I would argue that "master" when used as in "master copy" is actually superior. But now that Microsoft decided to be woke we need to make up some technical reasons why it makes sense even though it does not.

Everyone is entiteled to have their opinion but I am not buying this one.

Comment

Are the words whitelist and blacklist also deeply rooted in white supremacy and racism? Well, I looked it up, apparently not. Blocklist and allowlist are much better technically and more understandable right. Got it.

People are giving words new meanings and we are supposed to go along with this. I wonder which words are next because this won't stop now.

Comment

no matter how you look at it "main" is just the better name for the main branch than any other name
            No it isn't. Master means the one everyone is under, which makes actual logical sense when you consider "upstreaming" code. Your master repo is off of someone else's, and the term "master" easily conveys that it is SOMEONE ELSE'S worry/location that you are not supposed to be messing with.

If you want to use it locally, sure, makes sense. But going upstream, main makes no fucking sense when you understand English well. Your main branch is something you're not supposed to touch? That's bullshit. It's ILLOGICAL. It makes no sense. Main makes sense if you want work to in it, though. That's perfectly fine, use a main branch. I do. But you won't want to now, because it's actually upstream's master if you use this fucking stupid naming convention.

Talk about a fucking slog you have to think about when making a fucking branch name if "main" if the default eventually. It's more confusing and you're going to get a shit ton more people rewriting projects when they don't realize you switched your branches to dumb names that don't match their logical english meanings. We deserve it for not saying "Fuck off" to anyone who thinks this is an issue, because it's not. I'm even a person who is very forward thinking on most issues regarding social issues. But this is just moronic, and is actually going to cause issues. Maybe not tons, but you can be promised people will surely rewrite a ton of branches because of this. Especially when looking up older git articles that assume master is, well, the master copy. Like the name fucking says.
            Last edited by abott; 27 July 2020, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Anyway, all this master/main debate lead to something good for me.

I have been thinking about creating a new app for quite a while. I'd like to create something that can be used by concert bands at rehearsals. I'm in a concert band, I play the bass guitar, but I'm not that good at reading music scores, so I sometimes can't follow along while playing, and that's a problem, because catching up afterwards is quite hard for instruments like the bass that rarely play the main theme.

A nice app that, given the tempo and the music score, follows along the score for you would be great. Something like a karaoke player, but for notes instead of words. And, since there's nothing like that (not free at least), I'm planning to make one. But I couldn't find a name for it.

Now I know: I'll call it "master", because in release 1.0 will be the bandmaster to start the score visual playback from his "master" tablet/smartphone and the band players tablets will follow in sync.

Here is the repo.

Comment

no matter how you look at it "main" is just the better name for the main branch than any other name
                Considering "main" is used for a lot of other things in programming (main class, main entry point and whatnot), it is not a great pick. "Main" isn't even the main branch (unless you use git wrong). The main branch, where most of the activity takes place, is "develop".
                "Master" is in the same family as "master copy", "master key" and, to me at least, it is much more fitting.
                Last edited by bug77; 27 July 2020, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by abott View Post

Talk about a fucking slog you have to think about when making a fucking branch name if "main" if the default eventually. It's more confusing and you're going to get a shit ton more people rewriting projects when they don't realize you switched your branches to dumb names that don't match their logical english meanings.
                  Git is quite a complex system. If people working with it get confused because of the minuscule difference of meaning between "master" and "main", maybe you shouldn't work with them in the first place.

This is software development, after all. Software malfunction is called a "bug" and before "master" we had "trunk"! Let's not pretend we are care much about how we interpret our terminology based on linguistics. We'll adopt and will be fine!

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post
                    No matter how you look at it this is complete and utter nonsense. The rest of the world does not need to deal with all this USA inspired shitstorm.
                    Adding configuration to git is nonsense? You still could use `master` if you wish. How could configuration option could be bad?

As for me, I've never felt `master` naming as right. Maybe `head` (used for other purpose, badly too IMO, I'd named it `point`), `top` or at least `main`. Even subversion's `trunk` is better, though I dislike it too. `Master`/`slave` fits in obvious asymmetric relationship. Not in branches.

The whole renaming — I don't think it brings something positive or negative, except of some overreacting people (from any "side").

Comment

Let's use trunk instead. The double-plus-good word established since 1990.

Comment

Working...
                      X