Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LibVNCServer 0.9.13 Released With Better Cross-Platform Coverage

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • LibVNCServer 0.9.13 Released With Better Cross-Platform Coverage

    Phoronix: LibVNCServer 0.9.13 Released With Better Cross-Platform Coverage

    LibVNCServer is the cross-platform library allowing the accelerated development of VNC server / Remote Framebuffer Protocol functionality into applications. LibVNCServer 0.9.13 is out as the first update to this library in more than one year and now comes with better cross-platform support...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...CServer-0.9.13

  • #2
    This is nice to see. Having a solid cross-platform library for VNC helps implementations a lot. And a lot of tech support software relies on VNC.

    That said, it'd be really nice if RealVNC would update RFB protocol versions in the community instead of taking it proprietary past 3.8.

    Comment


    • #3
      There is this: https://github.com/rfbproto

      I believe there are also community extensions such as the remote resize feature (currently only implemented in TigerVNC I believe).

      The weird thing is that RFB is so simple, most people just add their own extensions as required and don't really feel a need to get them standardised.

      Comment


      • #4
        I wonder when there will be a Windows VNC Server based on LibVNCServer.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Lycanthropist View Post
          I wonder when there will be a Windows VNC Server based on LibVNCServer.
          Any specific feature from a libvncserver based server you want on Windows? i.e Websocket support?

          A bit off topic but I am surprised there is no VNC Server on Windows that creates a temporary RDP session so that VNC on Windows can have proper multi-session support.

          Comment


          • #6
            I wonder if libvnc support something comparable to performance of tiger encoding implemented in TigerVNC Server/Client? This "tiger encoding" is comparable with Spice, but sadly supported only by TigerVNC.

            Comment


            • #7
              I don't think tiger provides a special encoding. After all you can use any client with TigerVNC and it still offers exceptional performance.
              Honestly I don't quite know how TigerVNC's Xvnc is so damn fast. Lots of x86 specific assembly perhaps?

              The only slight extension to the protocol TigerVNC does is that remote resize feature I mentioned earlier.

              Comment


              • #8
                Just in time, this topic seems related to my case.
                I need suggestion for connecting to MS windows remote desktop from linux(endless os)....from home to work office.
                Its internet connection. Excluding teamviewer, what's best free alternative for this scenario?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by dado023 View Post
                  Just in time, this topic seems related to my case.
                  I need suggestion for connecting to MS windows remote desktop from linux(endless os)....from home to work office.
                  Its internet connection. Excluding teamviewer, what's best free alternative for this scenario?
                  Windows actually has a fairly good remote desktop system (more advanced than Linux in fact). I personally use rdesktop (An open-source RDP client: https://www.rdesktop.org/), however I believe a newer alternative is xfreerdp (http://www.freerdp.com/)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

                    Windows actually has a fairly good remote desktop system (more advanced than Linux in fact). I personally use rdesktop (An open-source RDP client: https://www.rdesktop.org/), however I believe a newer alternative is xfreerdp (http://www.freerdp.com/)
                    I am trying avoid any solution which will require port forwarding or any similar intervention on the other end, due to users being very low knowledge level in that field.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X