New High Quality GPU Compression Codec Going Open-Source In The Coming Days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New High Quality GPU Compression Codec Going Open-Source In The Coming Days

Phoronix: New High Quality GPU Compression Codec Going Open-Source In The Coming Days

Compression experts Rich Geldreich and Stephanie Hurlburt with their Binomial consulting firm are about to release a high-quality open-source compression codec for GPUs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So am I right this is about texture compression? Or is it about GPU accelerated file compression?

​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by peterdk View Post
      So am I right this is about texture compression? Or is it about GPU accelerated file compression?

​​​​
      Second that. Really confusing headline. What is a "GPU Compression Codec"? Texture? Video? Arbitrary crap?
      After reading I came to the same conclusion as you did.

Comment

Originally posted by peterdk View Post

​​​​
        Yes, texture compression. I wish there was more competition as it's moving pretty slowly (only basis is now actively pushing things)

Comment

Textures are images and videos are images so it could still be applicable. Anyways...

This is a big deal because texture compression is one of the reasons why Nvidia generally has better memory performance than AMD.

Comment

I guess we could see games with great visuals below 50 GB+ again?

Comment

Basis provides an intermediary compressed format(I've been getting file sizes down to ~10% with it, huge reduction), and then at run-time that is decoded into one of the various GPU texture codecs that a GPU supports, where the compressed texture codec there helps reduce bandwidth to send it over to GPU memory where it'll uncompress afaik. Not an expert on this stuff, but that's how I understand it.

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
              I guess we could see games with great visuals below 50 GB+ again?
              I don't think it makes a difference there, nothing new that basis textures shouldn't already provide? Just basis is not a format GPUs accept, so it gets converted to something they do like ASTC or ETC2. Might improve loading times?(regarding transfer to GPU memory, basis should cover the storage on disk, but I guess this new format can skip basis as well if it's similar size and has broad support)

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
                This is a big deal because texture compression is one of the reasons why Nvidia generally has better memory performance than AMD.
                What does this mean from a product perspective? Do the Nvidia GPU's support some higher performing compression codec that the AMD products do not? I thought ASTC was developed by AMD, so it should in theory be a solid performer on AMD products, no?

Comment

All I can say is...

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
                    Textures are images and videos are images so it could still be applicable. Anyways...
                    And also why even in old pcie slots you notice less the efects of bandwith Limitation( because of compression.. )..

Comment

Working...
                    X