Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Qt 5.15 Alpha Released With Various Improvements To Qt 3D, QML, Core, New Qt PDF Module

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pipe13 View Post
    Fedora 30 uses Qt-5.12 LTS. Fedora 30 EOL's in May.
    CentOS 8 uses Qt-5.11. CentOS 8 is for five years.
    EL (CentOS) and Fedora (and lots of other distros) tend to pick the latest available during their development period (whether marked as an Qt "LTS" release or not), and then will backport fixes during their lifetime (for EL this may go on long after Qt themselves have ended support for a release). They also use the upstream sources and build it, and not the binary packages (and it is the binary release packages will now require a Qt login, the source git repo will remain available). Qt is no longer going to make available their own LTS versioned releases (5.15.1, 5.15.2....) to non-commercial users moving forward, but will continue to make available source patches which the distros are free to pull in (just as they always have been able to do, and have done so as needed). It is unclear to me if the Qt project will no longer tag the public source repo. If not, while it will require some distro Qt maintainers to have to do a bit more work, for the fast moving distros just moving to the next release is SOP, so it might not be so bad, and for the LTS distros, they have had to deal with pulling in selected patches for quite some time and resource that accordingly (RH and Canonical have people assigned to that task).

Comment

Michael a typo
      Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      the Qt 5.15 stable release expected around mid-November
      If all goes well Qt 5.15.0 will be out around 15 May. Qt 6.0 meanwhile could come before the end of 2020 if all goes well.

Comment

I'm kinda jealous of you people from US who know exactly what you're talking about when you say CLA, SOP, and so on.. because I don't.
        I've searched on Google and I can't figure it out. Damn acronyms.
        Last edited by GdeR; 15 February 2020, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
          I seem like a bad deal

Troll in KDE thread and start a flamewar.
          Fixed..

Comment

GdeR

One of the main reason the CLA is needed is due to the agreement with the Free-Qt Foundation, that says that if Qt is ever closed sourced, or stops being maintained, the last released versions becomes available under a BSD license. It wouldn't be possible to do that re-licensing without the CLA.

-- carewolf in https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...873#post945873
            Last edited by Nth_man; 19 February 2020, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X