Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Codeplay Brings SYCL, Intel DPC++ To NVIDIA GPUs

Phoronix: Codeplay Brings SYCL, Intel DPC++ To NVIDIA GPUs

Codeplay announced last year they were working on an open-source layer for running Intel's oneAPI and Data Parallel C++ on NVIDIA GPUs and as part of that supporting Khronos' SYCL on NVIDIA hardware. Today they revealed more details on this achievement and new software layer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I guess that CUDA being NVIDIA-only helped them to sell more cards, but sooner or later it had to happen that the GPGPU community needed a uniform multiplatform API. OpenCL poses problems when you want optimum performance across all cards. I hope SYCL is better at this than OpenCL, given that they go through CUDA (which is very optimized in NVIDIA) as opposed to OpenCL (very poor implementation for NVIDIA).

Honestly, I would have preferred that NVIDIA had made the choice of making CUDA available to other GPU vendors, but they won't, so I hope SYCL is good.

Comment

Originally posted by cesarcafe View Post
      I hope SYCL is better at this than OpenCL, given that they go through CUDA (which is very optimized in NVIDIA) as opposed to OpenCL (very poor implementation for NVIDIA).
      Sycl and Opencl are closely united, not "opposed".

Comment

Originally posted by boboviz View Post
        Sycl and Opencl are closely united, not "opposed".
        I didn't mean that they are opposed, but that the OpenCL implementation developed by NVIDIA is very poor, while they are implementing SYCL on top of CUDA, which looks more promising, at least at first glance...

Comment

Working...
        X