No announcement yet.

University of Illinois Releases HPVM As Heterogeneous Parallel Systems Compiler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• University of Illinois Releases HPVM As Heterogeneous Parallel Systems Compiler

Phoronix: University of Illinois Releases HPVM As Heterogeneous Parallel Systems Compiler

University of Illinois and associated developers have released HPVM 0.5, their LLVM-based compiler infrastructure for Heterogeneous Parallel Systems with CPU execution and OpenCL-based NVIDIA GPU support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I almost thought the acronym meant "High-Performance Virtual Machine".

Also, OpenCL support but no AMD support? What is this?
    It is kinda ironic that they couldn't use CUDA.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      I almost thought the acronym meant "High-Performance Virtual Machine".

Also, OpenCL support but no AMD support? What is this?
      It is kinda ironic that they couldn't use CUDA.
      I think the main reason is they don't have any AMD GPU in their Lab...

Comment

The concept sounds a lot like reinventing HSA. And a lot of time has passed without any new major advancements in the OpenCL space (Nvidia is still not conforming to 2.0 fully?).

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
          The concept sounds a lot like reinventing HSA. And a lot of time has passed without any new major advancements in the OpenCL space (Nvidia is still not conforming to 2.0 fully?).
          In the end I suspect OpenCL is going the way of OpenGL in modern systems. There seems to be a general trend to operating specific or even GPU specific solutions. Thus Metal, DirectX and other solutions.

Comment

More great stuff from the North American universities!

But where the hell is the stuff from the South American, Russian, Chinese, African, and Indian universities? Why are they not releasing anything? Are they not producing anything of value?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              More great stuff from the North American universities!

But where the hell is the stuff from the South American, Russian, Chinese, African, and Indian universities? Why are they not releasing anything? Are they not producing anything of value?
              They cant afford Nvidia

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

They cant afford Nvidia
                I don't know, I haven't heard about them releasing anything (related to GPU or not).

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

I don't know, I haven't heard about them releasing anything (related to GPU or not).
                  This commend supposed to be cynical. But HPC's filled with Nvidia cards selected out of their pro series is quite expensive. Idon't know if they sell much of them to public institutions.

BTW in one of their papers they mentioned that they have been sponsored by DARPA and Intel. I would assume that there are also national interests involved.
                  Last edited by CochainComplex; 01 February 2020, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

This commend supposed to be cynical. But HPC's filled with Nvidia cards selected out of their pro series is quite expensive. Idon't know if they sell much of them to public institutions.

BTW in one of their papers they mentioned that they have been sponsored by DARPA and Intel. I would assume that there are also national interests involved.
                    https://dl.acm.org/doi/pdf/10.1145/3200691.3178493
                    Yeah, sure Nvidia graphics cards are expensive so not all universities can afford them. But in other fields that does not have anything to do with GPU, GPGPU, etc, why are non-American universities not contributing anything?

Comment

Working...
                    X