Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Linux System Call Proposed To Let User-Space Pin Themselves To Specific CPU Cores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Larger multi-drawer Xeon systems would like this feature. Single system image across a rack of interconnected server drawers.

Comment

Originally posted by Flodul View Post
      Win10 hasn't ths behaviour anymore.
      Originally posted by willmore View Post
      And, yes, Win10 still does this. Maybe it's not supposed to, but I can watch it do it.
      So my mistake here for assuming that Flodul was talking out of real experience and not just making stuff up...

Last week I actually tested this for real on both Win10 and Ubuntu 18.04 by writing this simple program: "while(1);".

On Ubuntu it behaved like I wrote earlier, one of my cores went up to 100% and for the several minutes thatwaited the process was still running 100% entirely on that single core. On WIn10 it behaved worse than I remembered, my memory from the Windows 2000 days where that on a 4 core system a single 100% application like this would flatline each core at 25% in the Task Manager but here on Win10 it was like random charts going up and down on each core (killing the application idled every core so the problem was not background tasks).

Comment

Working...
      X