Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Git 2.25 Released As Its First Update Of 2020

Phoronix: Git 2.25 Released As Its First Update Of 2020

Git 2.25 is out today with over 500 commits making up this latest feature release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

In before uid complains about Git's "inconsistency"

Comment

What's lazy clone and how do I use it?

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
        What's lazy clone and how do I use it?
        As the name implies, I think it pretends to clone, but only actually pulls stuff when you first access it. I remember Microsoft had issue migrating to git because of their gigantic codebase and they wanted to add a new virtual file system to do lazy cloning.

Edit: here it is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtua...System_for_Git
        Gotta love how they call lumping stuff together "enterprise-scale Git repositories"

Comment

Tried that microsoft git FS.. It´s a pain to use, you need custom git binaries + self signed kernel modules + a somehow working backend.. As soon as you grep in your repo or any IDE does a scan for files, everything gets pulled for the current version (obviously), this takes long, as every file is handled by a HTTP request to the backend..

In the current state it´s pretty unusable IMHO.. There is no linux implementation as far as i know, it should be easy to do with FUSE, but no one has done it.. Furthermore like LFS it breaks the "decentralized" part of git.. As you now have a master / single point of failure.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacefish View Post
            Furthermore like LFS it breaks the "decentralized" part of git.. As you now have a master / single point of failure.
            However, realistically, many people (including project developers) do not care about (nearly) dead branches and ancillary work in other code areas in large monolithic repos (the Windows one is the poster child, but there are other large repos). And if they do, they can still download the terabytes of code. This is, of course, a problem only for huge enterprise repositories, so for the 99%, it is easy to just ignore the issue (but for the 1%, it can make a huge difference in usability). I am glad the git community considers that dealing with real world problems (even if only real world for the biggest) is important (of course the reality is those big players direct the path forward, since they are paying for the developers doing the work, and they want their problems fixed too).
            Last edited by CommunityMember; 13 January 2020, 11:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              In before uid complains about Git's "inconsistency"
              Yeah, Git might be conceptually great, but it is not user friendly.
              I can only use it when there is a GUI integrated into the IDE.

I hope gitg continuous to improve, and I hope that GitHub releases GitHub Desktop for Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

As the name implies, I think it pretends to clone, but only actually pulls stuff when you first access it. I remember Microsoft had issue migrating to git because of their gigantic codebase and they wanted to add a new virtual file system to do lazy cloning.

Edit: here it is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtua...System_for_Git
                Gotta love how they call lumping stuff together "enterprise-scale Git repositories"
                I am aware of what lazy load means, or how Microsoft implemented it in-house, but I was asking how you use that with stock Git, coz Google pops out nothing for this term.

Comment

Working...
                X