X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by alcalde View Post
    What data is Microsoft mining from your open source, public source code, anyway?
    The same that everyone is mining from any place where a lot of people interact

Leave a comment:

• Duve
    replied

You do realize it's not 1995 anymore, right? This is like someone saying they don't trust OpenSUSE because of what Kaiser Wilhelm may be up to. Gates is off battling malaria and Ballmer's doing the developers dance with his basketball team.
    True but with a project this large, and fundamental honestly being independent does have some advantages.
    Because now the work-flow can be change to fit the project itself and give some kind of ownership and agency to GNU members. Because GitHub and GitLab simply will not be around forever plus they do go down.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

I presume you have a custom patch set for your self-built Linux kernel to remove each and every patch (and then adjust the remaining code that depends on those patches) from all the companies that you have any objection to?
    Yeah, cause one guy can do that, obviously.... Linux Libre anyone???

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post

What is this effing bigotry? What can you mine off an open source project whose entire workflow is public?

Besides, GIT repos can be moved between hosters at the speed of light.
    Panty's in a wad much? Butt hurt from hell...

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied

You do realize it's not 1995 anymore, right? This is like someone saying they don't trust OpenSUSE because of what Kaiser Wilhelm may be up to. Gates is off battling malaria and Ballmer's doing the developers dance with his basketball team.

What data is Microsoft mining from your open source, public source code, anyway?

To quote Linus Torvalds,

Time to let it go. You're living in an era in which every copy of Windows includes a copy of the Linux kernel and Microsoft is releasing software for Linux. Don't be like one of those Japanese soldiers who fought WWII until 1972.
    I guess we'll all find out when/if MS ever releases an open source OS....

Leave a comment:

• alcalde
    replied
    Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

I am sure your proposal will be given all the consideration it deserves. Have you discussed with ESR how long it will take him to complete work to test and validate that conversion for a repository such as gcc (more than two years)?
    Honestly we didn't get into a discussion of time since I wasn't able to get past his demand for one of the forthcoming $3,990 USD 64-core Threadripper CPUs.

Leave a comment:

• CommunityMember
    replied
    Great; I'm working on my draft proposal right now that the project transition to Mercurial.
    I am sure your proposal will be given all the consideration it deserves. Have you discussed with ESR how long it will take him to complete work to test and validate that conversion for a repository such as gcc (more than two years)?

Leave a comment:

• CommunityMember
    replied
    Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    What's improper about GitHub is that it's practically a data miner for a specific large corporation with anti-trust and EEE aspirations and with a long varied history of accomplishing such....
    I presume you have a custom patch set for your self-built Linux kernel to remove each and every patch (and then adjust the remaining code that depends on those patches) from all the companies that you have any objection to?

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied

What's improper about GitHub is that it's practically a data miner for a specific large corporation with anti-trust and EEE aspirations and with a long varied history of accomplishing such....
    What is this effing bigotry? What can you mine off an open source project whose entire workflow is public?

Besides, GIT repos can be moved between hosters at the speed of light.

Leave a comment:

• alcalde
    replied

To quote Linus Torvalds,
    "The whole anti-Microsoft thing was sometimes funny as a joke, but not really. Today, they're actually much friendlier. I talk to Microsoft engineers at various conferences, and I feel like, yes, they have changed, and the engineers are happy," Torvalds told ZDNet.

"And they're like really happy working on Linux. So I completely dismissed all the anti-Microsoft stuff."
    Time to let it go. You're living in an era in which every copy of Windows includes a copy of the Linux kernel and Microsoft is releasing software for Linux. Don't be like one of those Japanese soldiers who fought WWII until 1972.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X