GCC 10 Link-Time Optimization Benchmarks On AMD Threadripper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Ubuntu Mainline PPA most often aside from when I am bisecting or needing to patch my kernels.
    Thanks! Any noticeable improvements? Is it a must-have perf upgrade for the 3960X, or am I fine with 5.3?

Comment

So basically, it can sway significantly one way or another, but most of the time the difference is insignificant. And how many lines of code were added to gcc for this "feat"?

Comment

Mesa seems to benefit quite a bit from LTO.

Add this to the meson command:

Code:
        -Db_lto=true

Comment

Originally posted by archsway View Post

Code:
          -Db_lto=true
          Yes, but mostly with reduced size. No (dramatic) speed increase.
          `-fwhole-program` isn't worth it, it seems.

Comment

From the gcc docs:

-fwhole-program
            Assume that the current compilation unit represents the whole program being compiled. All public functions and variables with the exception of main and those merged by attribute externally_visible become static functions and in effect are optimized more aggressively by interprocedural optimizers.

This option should not be used in combination with -flto. Instead relying on a linker plugin should provide safer and more precise information.

Comment

As far as I know, -fwhole-program works best when the entire program fits into a single source file/compilation unit. In theory, a benchmark like Himeno should benefit from it, but the results obtained here show otherwise. Odd.

Instead of using -flto in conjunction with -fwhole-program, I would suggest replacing -fwhole-program with -flto-partition=none (possible values are none/one/1to1/balanced/max), which would disable WHOPR/partitioned LTO and switch to full LTO.

I suppose one could also accelerate the benchmarks measuring compilation time by using -flto=n, which would parallelize the linking process when using WHOPR.

Comment

Since mostly what I care about for absolute roaring speed is FFTW on 512-2048 FFT sizes... this doesn't look like it's going to help me much. It might at 2048 I guess... I need to run some benchmarks of my own.

Thanks for the tests.

Comment

For compile time you need -flto=$CPUCOUNT (or -flto=jobserver and CC=-gcc)

Fat objects should also already be disabled. So the main difference is the compiling in parallel. It shouldn't be that much slower than normal building, it just uses a metric shit-ton more memory.

Comment

Originally posted by set135
                    This is what I have been using on Gentoo for many years, for all but a few packages:
                    CFLAGS=-march=native -O2 -pipe -fno-stack-protector -flto=4 -fuse-linker-plugin
                    CXXFLAGS=$CFLAGS
                    LDFLAGS=-Wl,-flto=4 $CFLAGS

My goal was primarily to reduce executable size, and just to see how it works, so it is interesting to see some benchmarks.
                    Why pass -flto to the linker? Just link with gcc/g++, and let it deal with the command line. Also -fuse-linker-plugin is redundant. But yes, that will improve binary size greatly, even if you would need -O3 to get the performance benefits of -flto.

Comment

Originally posted by archsway View Post

Code:
                      -Db_lto=true
                      Yes that would be an interesting benchmark, there's also MESA support for PGO (profile guided optimization) which in my experience is typically a more impactful optmization. The variable is -Db_pgo= and the parameters are off/generate/use . Perhaps something for Michael to try out when he does a new PGO benchmark.

Comment

Working...
                      X