Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eric S Raymond Believes Reposurgeon Is Finally Ready For Full & Correct GCC Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eric S Raymond Believes Reposurgeon Is Finally Ready For Full & Correct GCC Conversion

Phoronix: Eric S Raymond Believes Reposurgeon Is Finally Ready For Full & Correct GCC Conversion

After many delays, and seemingly as a Christmas miracle, Eric S Raymond now believes his Reposurgeon utility is officially ready to convert GCC's SVN repository over to Git...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Amazing how quickly that happened when ESR got a little bit of real competition. I still hope the other guy gets the go ahead. ESR deserves getting blown off at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
      ESR deserves getting blown off at this point.
      Why would you say that?

Comment

Amazing how quickly that happened when ESR got a little bit of real competition. I still hope the other guy gets the go ahead. ESR deserves getting blown off at this point.
        I don't think it's just ESR working on the reposurgeon GCC conversion at this point though?

AIUI, there are 3 core reposurgeon developers and 2 outside contributors. The 2 outside contributors have apparently done a pretty decent job fixing the remaining SNAFUs by contributing edge-case fixes written in reposurgeon's bespoke DSL.

From what I can tell, I think the goal now is to attempt to compare the git repos produced by the reposurgeon conversion against the git-svn based scripting solution conversion and do some analysis from there.

May be the best conversion win (for a suitable definition of 'best').

Comment

So.... presumably this tool has found an issue with the standard svn to git migration tools? And those bugs have been reported and fixed?

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
            So.... presumably this tool has found an issue with the standard svn to git migration tools? And those bugs have been reported and fixed?
            How did you arrive at that conclusion?

FWIW, I don't think the end goal for reposurgeon is to improve git-svn; rather, I think the goal is to improve reposurgeon itself which has a somewhat wider scope than git-svn does:

(reposurgeon is a) "tool for editing version-control repositories and translating among different systems. Supports git, bzr, Subversion, darcs, and fossil directly, also hg, CVS, and RCS through plugins." (source)
            But I'm sure you're welcome to attempt to digest the solutions in reposurgeon that comprise desirable git-svn improvements and propose them for inclusion in git-svn proper.

Apparently, you can get in touch with the reposurgeon guys in #reposurgeon on freenode.net IRC if you would like to engage with them directly instead of via Phoronix?

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
              The edge case issues are a legacy from all the way back to the (broken) cvs structures and cvs -> svn conversion, and some dead branches/code/random_crap that has accumulated over the years, which no one was motivated to try to clean up, or could even figure out a good way to clean up. This is what you get when you try to gain permitting approval to build your new children's hospital on the land previously used by a chemical company leching deadly toxins into the ground water to a depth of 100 meters on the top of demonic burial grounds, and at the same time are required by some to preserve the experience and legacy of those true believers of the return of the devil (so are required to erect a plaque to them in the middle of new building rising to the tops of the atrium). It is an example of one of those situations which has no previous example, nor will the specific circumstances ever be seen again.
              Last edited by CommunityMember; 24 December 2019, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Finally, almost, soon™

Comment

I don't think anyone deserves to get blown away just because some group of people does not like him. The quality of code and coding is what should matter.

Comment

So Eric found some actually competent programmers to do the work for him while he gets the credit?
                    At least this saga (might) be over soon.

Comment

Working...
                    X