Google Opens Up "SchedViz" To Visualize Linux Kernel Scheduling Behavior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Opens Up "SchedViz" To Visualize Linux Kernel Scheduling Behavior

Phoronix: Google Opens Up "SchedViz" To Visualize Linux Kernel Scheduling Behavior

Google's newest open-source contribution for benefiting the Linux kernel is SchedViz...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's pretty neat and I can't wait to see what people a lot smarter than me do with it; people like Con Kolivas & Alfred Chen.

It also made me realize just how...hmmm, not necessarily bad...perhaps generic...most geeks are at naming things.

Comment

Google might be extremely evil but their open source contributions have always been excellent and highly valuable.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
        Google might be extremely evil but their open source contributions have always been excellent and highly valuable.
        Sometimes you can have a basic relationship with evil and don't have to pull your pants down and bend over. Google offers a lot of value, people who don't want to "trust" or be "trapped" in their sphere make sure they don't rely on them but "use" them as needed.

God knows they "use" us to supply endless private data for AI, selling, processing, research, market research, advertising, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          It also made me realize just how...hmmm, not necessarily bad...perhaps generic...most geeks are at naming things.
          As someone who does that sort of thing, I can tell you one rationale in precise detail:

If I see a name like "Atom" or "Nautilus" or "HandBrake", that is a weaker mnemonic tag than something descriptive like "Graphviz" or "Focuswriter". When I run across something in passing online and don't think much of it, and then later realize I do need something like that, I want to maximize the chances that I'll be able to recover the search keyword I need from my vague memories of what the thing was. (And, from there, "Do unto others...")

Why do you think book titles describe the essence of what stories are about? Same principle. They're mnemonic tags. (Storm Front, Jurassic Park, The Rowan, Triple Detente, Foundation, Nightfall, Nemesis, 1632, etc.)

A name with a certain meter to it, that's easy to pronounce and, at the same time, descriptive, is ideal for maximizing potential user uptake.
          Last edited by ssokolow; 10 October 2019, 05:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

As someone who does that sort of thing, I can tell you one rationale in precise detail:

If I see a name like "Atom" or "Nautilus" or "HandBrake", that is a weaker mnemonic tag than something descriptive like "Graphviz" or "Focuswriter". When I run across something in passing online and don't think much of it, and then later realize I do need something like that, I want to maximize the chances that I'll be able to recover the search keyword I need from my vague memories of what the thing was. (And, from there, "Do unto others...")

Why do you think book titles describe the essence of what stories are about? Same principle. They're mnemonic tags. (Storm Front, Jurassic Park, The Rowan, Triple Detente, Foundation, Nightfall, Nemesis, 1632, etc.)

A name with a certain meter to it, that's easy to pronounce and, at the same time, descriptive, is ideal for maximizing potential user uptake.
            While I get where you're coming from, the way my brain works I'm more likely to remember HandBrake and Dolphin over MediaEncoder and FileManager.

Nazis, Dinosaurs, The Zohan's brother's biography, psychology of a threeway, how to pour concrete, flat earther propaganda, Resident Evil 3 strategy guide, the next game in the Anno serires. Was I close?

Comment

While I get where you're coming from, the way my brain works I'm more likely to remember HandBrake and Dolphin over MediaEncoder and FileManager.
              I'd agree, if that were what I was going for. There's a difference between "CDBurner" and something like "XCDRoast". "HandBrake" does benefit somewhat in the memorability department from the "How in the hell does that name have anything to do with its function?" department, but I'd have at least gone in the direction of the CD ripper named "whipper", a fork of the unmaintained and harder-to-remember morituri.

Nazis, Dinosaurs, The Zohan's brother's biography, psychology of a threeway, how to pour concrete, flat earther propaganda, Resident Evil 3 strategy guide, the next game in the Anno serires. Was I close?
              The Dresden Files book where the killer is using weather magic, the Michael Crichton book the movie was based on, an Anne McCaffrey book named after its telepathic/telekinetic main character, a Piers Anthony book about Earth and two other species agreeing to "conquer each other" so all three groups of citizens can blame and demonize the aliens for making the hard decisions that needed to be made, Isaac Asimov's famous series about an organization designed to preserve knowledge in the face of a predicted societal collapse, Isaac Asimov's famous novella about the madness and societal collapse caused by a bi-millennial eclipse on a one-sun day on a world with six suns, Isaac Asimov's story about people going to the Sun's hypothetical sister star, and Eric Flint's story about a West Virginia mining town transported to medieval Europe.

...but, to be fair, when I scanned through the big bookshelf above and behind my monitors, I was specifically looking for ones that are difficult unless you already know them. It just wouldn't have had the same ring if I'd used ones like "The Hunt for Red October", "The Skies of Pern", "I, Robot", "Magic Kingdom for Sale/SOLD", "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", and "Green Mars".
              Last edited by ssokolow; 11 October 2019, 02:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X