Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The New Features Of LLVM 9.0 & Clang 9.0 - Includes Building The Linux x86_64 Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New Features Of LLVM 9.0 & Clang 9.0 - Includes Building The Linux x86_64 Kernel

Phoronix: The New Features Of LLVM 9.0 & Clang 9.0 - Includes Building The Linux x86_64 Kernel

The LLVM 9.0 release is running a few weeks behind schedule but should be out in the days ahead along with other LLVM sub-project releases like Clang 9.0. Here's a look at what's on tap for this half-year update to the LLVM compiler infrastructure...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I am curious about the differences of a kernel built using llvm. Is it about the compile speed ? or is it generating a better code?

Comment

a benchmark parkour comparing performance on GCC vs Clang built kernels would be cool.

Comment

Clang currently supports OpenCL C language standards up to v2.0. Starting from clang 9 a C++ mode is available for OpenCL (see C++ for OpenCL).
        Source Citation: http://clang.llvm.org/docs/UsersManu...pencl-features

And yet we can't get OpenCL 1.2 stack for AMD working out of the box yet w/o ROCm, which itself is ``in flux'' like having constant constipation?

Comment

So if we compile the kernel with Clang, and use libc rather than glibc would it be LLVM/Linux rather than GNU/Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
            So if we compile the kernel with Clang, and use libc rather than glibc would it be LLVM/Linux rather than GNU/Linux?
            No. It's GNU/Linux because you're using the GNU userspace tools like coreutils and find.

Comment

- Support for "asm goto" so the mainline Linux x86_64 kernel can now build and boot with Clang 9.0. YEAH!
              Only took 12 years. Is this something to be proud of?

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

Only took 12 years. Is this something to be proud of?
                I'm sure that if you chimed in with your prowess, it'd be done much sooner. Alas, you had better things to do.

Comment

Originally posted by clavko View Post

I'm sure that if you chimed in with your prowess, it'd be done much sooner. Alas, you had better things to do.
                  You think Apple doesn't have better devs on staff than me? I can assure you that's not the case. I would assume it was just a matter of it not being a priority.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayShade View Post

No. It's GNU/Linux because you're using the GNU userspace tools like coreutils and find.
                    Then I am using busybox/Linux on several systems already

Comment

Working...
                    X