No announcement yet.

Visual Studio Code Has Surprisingly Huge Linux Use & Other Developer Metrics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visual Studio Code Has Surprisingly Huge Linux Use & Other Developer Metrics

Phoronix: Visual Studio Code Has Surprisingly Huge Linux Use & Other Developer Metrics

You may recall that back in July Intel's Clear Linux team was looking for feedback on Linux developer workflows and other developer preferences. This survey wasn't limited to Clear Linux users and the results are now published which provide for some interesting data points...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...Survey-Results

• mikelpr
    replied
    DebianXFCE has had an offspring?!

Leave a comment:

• kpedersen
    replied
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    first, ide also contains text editor
    It would be absurd if it didn't XD

second, my ide is extensible to any toolchain
    No it isn't.

Emscripten?
    TCC?
    SGDK? (GCC based Megadrive cross compiler with a few additional steps)
    Watcom?
    Borland?
    Qt 1.x MOC?

I have used each of these in my time and I can guarantee that no IDE can support them all out of the box (or with existing plugins).
    nvi, vim and makefiles work with all of them

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
    The IDE that comes with your distro will probably not support Android development. However a simple text editor and command line compiler will always support any toolchain.
    first, ide also contains text editor. second, my ide is extensible to any toolchain

Leave a comment:

• kpedersen
    replied
    i don't know. if it is required, you have no choice. if it isn't required, i'll try to use my ide which comes with my distro
    The IDE that comes with your distro will probably not support Android development. However a simple text editor and command line compiler will always support any toolchain.
    And that is basically why VSCode is often more useful than Visual Studio (IDE). VSCode fits the "simple text editor" niche rather than always jumping around these different IDEs.
    (though again, there are IMO better simple text editors than VSCode, VSCode is branded and marketed (it is on pretty much every stack overflow advert) so that is a big reason why developers use it).

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    For example, if you suddenly get a contract to develop an Android app would you then have to use Android Studio?
    i don't know. if it is required, you have no choice. if it isn't required, i'll try to use my ide which comes with my distro

Leave a comment:

• kpedersen
    replied
    if your ide doesn't come with your distro you should switch either ide or distro
    I don't quite agree with this. I find it a bit too time consuming moving tooling around. For example, if you suddenly get a contract to develop an Android app would you then have to use Android Studio? How would you integrate all these different IDE build systems with your i.e Jenkins build server.

Thats why a lighter editor is generally a good solution if you develop in multiple disciplines or languages. For me that is nvi on *nix or notepad++ on win32. Over the years I have developed simple plugins / patches for these to i.e navigate large projects effectively.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by DebianXFCE Jr View Post
    I will have to quote Ken Thompson here: "It does a lot of things half well and it's just a garbage heap of ideas that are mutually exclusive."
    what makes you think he loves unity or c# more?
    he also said "The three of us got together and decided that we hated C++, it’s too complex. Going back…if we’d thought of it, we’d have done an object-oriented version of C. But we were not evangelists of object orientation", so how is relevant opinion on c++ by someone who doesn't know that c++ is not object-oriented language?
    don't forget, we are talking about guy, who designed "c++ killer", which only attracts python devs. "featureles because it makes it better", but adding generics because users don't give a fuck what idiotic world view designer had. btw, that idiotic world view can be shortened to "only features which i like are important, your are not"
    Originally posted by DebianXFCE Jr View Post
    software used by expert furniture craftsmen? Be serious. Languages, editors or IDEs are just tools, and you pick the one that makes the job done.
    sticks and stones also make job done, somehow people prefer more advanced tools
    Last edited by pal666; 09-07-2019, 05:21 AM.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by Madgemade View Post
    Which distro?
    if your ide doesn't come with your distro you should switch either ide or distro
    my distro is fedora
    IDEs considers one project to be one program
    good ide can do better. but even among bad ides it should be fashionable to support cmake projects, cmake can have many programs in the project
    , I don't see how having loads of different files that have no relation to each other together is a good idea. In VSCods you can just open a file, make a few changes and close it, no need to have any kind of "project" file/folder bloat.
    you don't have to open all project files, open only ones you need as with any text editor

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    I can't believe you fell for that Microsoft trick
    i have no problems distinguishing vs and vscode
    Using a correct compiler is relevant for *all* developers.
    sure, but you can't use incorrect one if it is not available on your platform
    The stack overflow survey was the one I was referencing. You should check it out.
    vs doesn't work on linux, so it can't be used by linux developers
    Last edited by pal666; 09-07-2019, 04:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X