Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Qt Creator 4.9 Is Around The Corner With Expanded Language Server Protocol Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

More than half of the Qt developers are using Linux at work, getting people willing to work on Windows and Mac is the issue..
    I would seriously contest that statement.

[this is going to be a rant]

I am a developer that uses Qt on windows for daily work. At home, I'm a linux-totaller since 1999. I can confirm that Linux is a second class citizen in the daunting house of Qt. It just hit me again today: I've tried to study an OpenGL issue I had at work on my home-PC - but naaaah, it won't work It's impossible to compile *anything* Qt on Debian, Ubuntu and KDE Neon because "library 'libatomic' is not defined". They claim to have found the issue but avoid like the pest to actually name it. What shall I think of that?

Why is it, that whenever I try to do something with Qt, it fails. One time it was not possible to install Qt on debian, then it was not possible to install QtCreator, then some libraries were missing.

[end rant]

Comment

Originally posted by lowflyer View Post

I would seriously contest that statement.

[this is going to be a rant]

I am a developer that uses Qt on windows for daily work. At home, I'm a linux-totaller since 1999. I can confirm that Linux is a second class citizen in the daunting house of Qt. It just hit me again today: I've tried to study an OpenGL issue I had at work on my home-PC - but naaaah, it won't work It's impossible to compile *anything* Qt on Debian, Ubuntu and KDE Neon because "library 'libatomic' is not defined". They claim to have found the issue but avoid like the pest to actually name it. What shall I think of that?

Why is it, that whenever I try to do something with Qt, it fails. One time it was not possible to install Qt on debian, then it was not possible to install QtCreator, then some libraries were missing.

[end rant]
      I use Debian and Neon mixed on my machines and build Qt daily, and never had that issue with my desktop builds. I only have only ever seen a missing libatomic error when building for MIPS where libatomic is needed to have atomic 64-bit integers(*). It shouldn't be needed on x86 or ARM, and the compiler should be including it automatically anyway.

You have an obscure bug that only few ever see even on the same platform. You can try opening a bug and hunt down why your system is broken, but it is not a common issue, if it was we would have encounted it and fixed it.

*) What libatomic does is simulate atomic instructions if they are not supported natively on platform.
      Last edited by carewolf; 28 March 2019, 05:31 PM.

Comment

I use Debian and Neon mixed on my machines and build Qt daily, and never had that issue with my desktop builds. I only have only ever seen a missing libatomic error when building for MIPS where libatomic is needed to have atomic 64-bit integers(*). It shouldn't be needed on x86 or ARM, and the compiler should be including it automatically anyway.

You have an obscure bug that only few ever see even on the same platform. You can try opening a bug and hunt down why your system is broken, but it is not a common issue, if it was we would have encounted it and fixed it.

*) What libatomic does is simulate atomic instructions if they are not supported natively on platform.
        Well, first of all, I'm on a normal PC with an AMD FX 8350 processor. According to your information, libatomic should not even be used on this platform! Second, this issue is already discussed in the Qt forum (link in my previous post). Reading the comments there leaves only the conclusion "It cannot be that obscure".

Comment

Well, first of all, I'm on a normal PC with an AMD FX 8350 processor. According to your information, libatomic should not even be used on this platform! Second, this issue is already discussed in the Qt forum (link in my previous post). Reading the comments there leaves only the conclusion "It cannot be that obscure".
          Things on forums are often obscure stuff. That is what happens when you have millions of users. If you read the forum, you will also note it is apparently a bug in the Debian package. So in your logic Linux will is a second class citizen to Debian developers
          Last edited by carewolf; 29 March 2019, 05:21 AM.

Comment

Things on forums are often obscure stuff. That is what happens when you have millions of users. If you read the forum, you will also note it is apparently a bug in the Debian package. So in your logic Linux will is a second class citizen to Debian developers
            I don't want to argue in circles (but your schoolmasterly tone ...)
            The forums may appear to be "obscure" to you, but I read a very clear message that the bug already has been fixed in Debian. It's only KDE neon where the fix is still missing.
            Last edited by lowflyer; 01 April 2019, 02:18 AM. Reason: Correction

Comment

I don't want to argue in circles (but your schoolmasterly tone ...)
              The forums may appear to be "obscure" to you, but I read a very clear message that the bug already has been fixed in Debian. It's only KDE neon where the fix is still missing.
              Sorry for the tone then. But note that Qt does not make the Debian packages, nor the KDE neon packages.

I guess that also explains why you hit the issue and I do not. I am generaly use the official Qt sources and builds, not the Debian packages.

Comment

Working...
              X