Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LLVM Continues Working On Its Transition From SVN To Git

Phoronix: LLVM Continues Working On Its Transition From SVN To Git

In addition to LLVM's multi-year effort on re-licensing their code, some developers also remain hard at work on officially migrating the project from an SVN development workflow to Git...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm always extremely surprised if people still use SVN. It must be a nightmare to manage access and community contributions.

Comment

I remember reading about them, rightfully, dropping SVN in favor of Git, but not having heard of the effort since and not being involved in the project I simply assumed that move had been completed long ago. Seems like I was wrong to assume that...

Still, I can only imagine the amount of unnecessary work caused by SVN considering the experience I've personally had with it. Even had to move a project from SVN to git, but thankfully that was a pretty small project so we were able to just push the latest stable version to the new repo and then pretty much start over the development history from there. That obviously won't work with a project as big as SVN and it's probably to be expected for it go trough a long process like this rather than the simple development history reset we did.
      Last edited by L_A_G; 19 October 2018, 05:15 AM.

Comment

Post deleted.
        Last edited by nuetzel; 19 October 2018, 08:18 AM. Reason: Wrong thread. ​​​​​​​Please ignore.

Comment

Having done my share of migrations, I can understand how complicated this is:

* In svn, you can make a branch of any folder, you don't need to branch the entire project. Branching and merging a subfolder has no direct equivalent in git.
          * There is no distinction between copying, renaming, branching or tagging. It is all done in the exact same way. Usually branches are simply put in an agreed upon folder called "branches", but that is just convention.
          * Merges are complicated especially with older versions of subversion. Subversion did not track merges at all, merges looked like just another commit with no way to tell where they came from.
          * Once everyone switches, the migration is set in stone, there are no do overs, you have to get it right the first time.
          * it takes for ever, if they have 300,000 commits, it will take days to convert. If you find a problem, you might need to start over.

The good thing is that once it is done, it feels like adding fresh air to a project. Git is just on a different level, pull requests are the best thing since sliced bread.

Comment

Originally posted by ZeroPointEnergy View Post
            I'm always extremely surprised if people still use SVN. It must be a nightmare to manage access and community contributions.
            Me too, but I still see people recommending SVN (or HG) on some forums. I have no idea why they'd do that. I mean: HG ain't half bad, but it's no Git and SVN isn't all that great anymore. Heck, I even saw a few people recommending CVS a couple of times... CVS lol. That's about the worst of the worst, not to mention very outdated by now (last update was little over 10 years ago!). Why would anyone still want to use that piece of crap?
            Last edited by Vistaus; 19 October 2018, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Yeah, especially bush such a product like LLVM which is the first to bring the best and newest features and so many new technologies depend on like Rust.

Comment

even GNU still uses svn for its gcc compiler

Comment

Working...
                X