Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solaris 11.4 To Move From GNOME 2 Desktop To GNOME Shell

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
    Yeah, but it has already been established that anti-GNOME-Shell people only want to customize their web browsers with extensions, not their DE.
    I'll leave this bit of truth here:
    browser extensions are more stable than GNOME 3 extensions as upstream does not break API very often if at all.

    Up to the switch to Firefox Quantum, most extensions not relying on frail interfaces (like youtube video downloaders and similar that have to track a website's own API to work, which is unrelated) kept working from like 2012.
    Same for Chrome/ium, and from now on it should be again the same for FF and webextensions.

    Comment


    • #22
      ah come on. Blocked post for Vistaus above.

      Comment


      • #23
        Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
        You honestly think that the new Gnome Shell looks better than the original Solaris 11 Gnome 2 desktop? Wow, I must really be loosing track with modern UX. The Gnome 2 offering to me looks vastly superior and far more professional.

        I would almost be embarrassed showing the Gnome 3 Shell on my laptop during presentations. It just looks consumer in every single way.
        Yes you are `losing' traction. It reminds me of the whining with MacOS 8 versus OS X.

        Comment


        • #24
          Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
          Yes you are `losing' traction. It reminds me of the whining with MacOS 8 versus OS X.
          *track

          MacOS 8 has the same identical UX design of OSX/MacOS. Better graphics, yes, but same UX design.

          Same top bar with menus, same bottom bar with a dock-like thing, same icons on desktop.

          GNOME 2 vs GNOME 3 (not the "legacy" or "flashback" mode) is a different UX design.

          Comment


          • #25
            Originally posted by aht0 View Post
            Under which license? GPL?
            It's a GNOME module/component, does it even matter? GNOME itself is GPLv2 anyway.

            Comment


            • #26
              Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              It's a GNOME module/component, does it even matter? GNOME itself is GPLv2 anyway.
              I suppose it does not.

              Comment


              • #27
                Wonderful News ! Now the Unix AND Linux world are unifying on a standard desktop ,GNOME, and the underlying tech behind it, GTK+ This WILL UNDENIABLY help the entire Unix/Linux world but particularly the Linux computing world continue the slow but continuous drive into breaking up the desktop duopoly of MacOS and Windows. GNOME is the default desktop of all three major Linux distributions....( Fedora/Red Hat, Suse and Ubuntu )....and now Solaris. Yes...yes...Solaris like most Unices are greybeards and blah blah.....but they undergird THE MOST critical of services from defense to banking. The simple fact is NOW finally....when someone learns one Linux system and/or Unix there is now ONE LESS thing to have to re-learn and that being the ins and outs of the GUI. This is something the Windows and MacOS and even ChromeOS admins and end users have never really had to deal with. Yes...yes....Windows XP/7 to Windows 8/8.1/10.....however that is not the point. There has never been an Xfce version or KDE version or Cinnamon version or Elementary version or Fluxbox version, etc.etc of Windows. Or MacOS. This fact has helped these OS's obtain and retain end users and thus build and solidify their positions in the computing world. We'll still have the flexibility of having hobbyists DE's such as KDE and Xfce and Fluxbox and Elementary, etc. That's one of the things that makes Linux great ! However....it's time for Linux and Unix to grow up and consolidate around a common end user GUI and DE. And GNOME is it. Congrats GNOME team for another win !

                Comment


                • #28
                  Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
                  Wonderful News ! Now the Unix AND Linux world are unifying on a standard desktop ,GNOME, and the underlying tech behind it, GTK+ This WILL UNDENIABLY help the entire Unix/Linux world but particularly the Linux computing world continue the slow but continuous drive into breaking up the desktop duopoly of MacOS and Windows. GNOME is the default desktop of all three major Linux distributions....( Fedora/Red Hat, Suse and Ubuntu )....and now Solaris. Yes...yes...Solaris like most Unices are greybeards and blah blah.....but they undergird THE MOST critical of services from defense to banking. The simple fact is NOW finally....when someone learns one Linux system and/or Unix there is now ONE LESS thing to have to re-learn and that being the ins and outs of the GUI. This is something the Windows and MacOS and even ChromeOS admins and end users have never really had to deal with. Yes...yes....Windows XP/7 to Windows 8/8.1/10.....however that is not the point. There has never been an Xfce version or KDE version or Cinnamon version or Elementary version or Fluxbox version, etc.etc of Windows. Or MacOS. This fact has helped these OS's obtain and retain end users and thus build and solidify their positions in the computing world. We'll still have the flexibility of having hobbyists DE's such as KDE and Xfce and Fluxbox and Elementary, etc. That's one of the things that makes Linux great ! However....it's time for Linux and Unix to grow up and consolidate around a common end user GUI and DE. And GNOME is it. Congrats GNOME team for another win !
                  Aaand this is another sockpuppet of the same blind GNOME fanboy that disappeared some time ago.

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Did sound indeed like a marketing division's ad..

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

                      elogind works on nonLinux OS?
                      Sorry I did not have the right one.
                      Originally posted by rpcameron View Post
                      Well, considering GNOME 3 runs on OpenBSD, I'd say the systemd requirement is bunk. Also, there's LoginKit (https://github.com/dimkr/LoginKit) which is what Devuan uses as its logind, I believe.
                      That is also not the right one.

                      If you are using a update consolekit you have logind prootcol as well.
                      https://github.com/ConsoleKit2/ConsoleKit2/issues/10
                      Yes Consolekit2. Note you need a consolekit to have KDE and GDM login managers work correctly before systemd exists.

                      There comes a point when it comes a serous question why maintain the old stuff. This is basically what happened the protocols systemd implements that gnome depends on are mostly now also implemented in the updated parts you would have to have installed when you don't have systemd and attempt to use sysvinit or other operating systems.

                      So I am more than serous that the graphical environments depending on systemd has been mostly making a mountain out of a mole hill. Its mostly been that systemd has been ahead of the curve and the others options have need to catch up. Consolekit2 implement logind protocol enabled to to do stuff it could not do prior. The logind protocol was design to address particular limitations of the consolekit design.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X