Oracle Finally Confirms It's Canning Solaris 12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eggbert View Post
    Oracle has killed pretty much everything they acquired from Sun. MySQL, Solaris, Netbeans, OpenOffice. And Java isn't in great shape these days either. Pathetic. I wish IBM would have bought Sun.
    an LIBDB

Comment

Originally posted by TeamBlackFox View Post
      Smit/smitty is much more well designed than windows.
      Which isn’t saying much.

I can understand the skepticism about using it instead of text file editing but I find both methods equally useful ...
      I don’t mind GUI front-ends to standard text config files. But when the whole configuration system becomes proprietary, that’s where I draw the line.

For example, text-based config files can have comments in them. You can keep multiple versions. Every time I change a file in /etc from the default, I keep the original one with a -orig extension. Then finding all the places I have made changes is as simple as

find /etc -name \*-orig

From there it’s easy to diff them to see exactly what I’ve changed. No more cases of “It doesn’t work anymore; but nothing has changed”, because I can always see exactly what has changed.

Comment

Originally posted by ldo17 View Post
        Every time I change a file in /etc from the default, I keep the original one with a -orig extension. Then finding all the places I have made changes is as simple as

find /etc -name \*-orig
        Using git to track files in /etc is great for this.

Comment

Originally posted by md1032 View Post

Using git to track files in /etc is great for this.
          Git is great for tracking changes to any kind of text file.

One reason I think simpler markup formats like Markdown have become so popular lately is because, being plain text, it is easy to put them into a Git repo.

I see the complicated and unwieldy change-tracking functionality built into word processors, for example, and I feel only pity for their users.

Comment

I shouldn't be surprised to find *some* people like AIX, maybe they like pain ;-)

We *have* to support it as one of the many platforms our product runs on, but my team doesn't enjoy it . Whenever we encounter problems they take a long time to fix because we have no experts, and nobody wants to become an expert as it's not a marketable skill.
            Last edited by speculatrix; 19 January 2017, 06:25 AM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
              Why would you say something like that? If it wasn't for UNIX I highly doubt Linux would have happened.
              He is talking in the present tense. Anything that can legally call itself Unix now needs to die.
              As it is, only remnants of the Unix wars and Apple's OSes can claim that. Even BSDs can't call themselves Unix.

Comment

Originally posted by ruthan View Post
                I think that the world would be better without this corporate hell OS, HP UX is dying too, i hope that AIX would die too.
                HP is working on the next iteration HP-UX and they're still attracting new customers (they closed a couple of solid deals here in the Netherlands b/w 2014 and 2016. So although it's not as alive as it once used to be, it's far from dying.
                Last edited by Vistaus; 19 January 2017, 07:28 AM.

Comment

I read somewhere that google was planning or it was a rumor i am not sure, that they were planning to use openjdk instead of Java. The whole patent agony isn't really pleasant to deal with it anyway.

Openjdk has matured enough so i have heard. If that indeed is the case, we can EXPECT many more businesses going to use if Oracle wants to kill Java asking money for the use.

Found a link: https://dzone.com/articles/openjdk-is-now-the-time

If openJDK would be adopted by many companies and Java also would die (although sad to see it go away) would be finally also a GREAT step forward from these companies that try to get money from people where ever they can.
                  Last edited by shinger; 19 January 2017, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Oracle has killed pretty much everything they acquired from Sun. MySQL, Solaris, Netbeans, OpenOffice. And Java isn't in great shape these days either. Pathetic. I wish IBM would have bought Sun.
                    How did they kill MySQL?

Comment

To be fair, it isn't Oracle that killed OpenOffice, it is LibreOffice. The OpenOffice.org project was already in really bad shape. IBM had a chance to save it but didn't, so having IBM buy Sun probably wouldn't have changed anything there.

Comment

Working...
                      X